Open Forum

View Only

Thespian Honor Cords

• 1.  Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-09-2014 10:49

Hello,  I am a thespian sponsor for my troupe in California.  I noticed in the thespian catalog that there are now thespian stoles as well as honor cords.  I have used the cords but am thinking of switching to the stoles.  Has anyone used them and do they look better?

-------------------------------------------
    Dan Blackley
    Lake Forest CA

• 2.  RE:Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-10-2014 08:09
    I used them at my old school, although the students were not allowed to wear them at graduation. They are very nice, although obviously more expensive. The school I teach at now allows my students to wear thespian cords, but not stoles - so as to not detract from CSF. ------------------------------------------- Heather Brandon Bakersfield CA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-10-2014 08:42
    We use the stoles as indicators of membership-- IE: all graduating thespian seniors who have remained active thespians may wear stoles, honor chords are then used for students who have earned 60 points or better.

Hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-10-2014 08:42

Haven't used the stole but my seniors loved the braided blue and gold cords. Other groups get cords as well and it validated all their hard work with ITS and drama.
    Stephen Thompson
    Paris AR

• 5.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-10-2014 08:43
    We used the stoles and I think they stand out more at graduation and look better. Good choice!

Diana Driver
    Amherst VA

• 6.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-10-2014 11:47
    Hey Dan,

2 issues:

1) The cords and the stoles are symbolic and will be as good looking as they are meaningful.  I was able to introduce Graduation Cords to my troupe and they are now very desired.
    2) IMHO, switching is not a good idea as it takes any of the meaningfulness away from the concept.  If you want to ADD stoles to indicate a higher class, International Honor Thespians for instance, and keep cords for graduating Honor Thespians that might be interesting. However, I would seriously talk over any change with my boosters well in advance.
    3) My administration took around 14 weeks to approve the Thespians wearing cords at graduation at all.  It became a political mess for a while.  No one wanted the IB program, or the California Scholarship Federation to get their feelings hurt.  I had to check around campus and make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes. In my case any change would have to pass muster with them too.

My 2 cents,

James Auld
    Technical Director
    Las Virgenes Unified School District
    Agoura Hills CA

• 7.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-25-2014 18:21
    Some of us here at the EdTA National Conference were talking about the honors and recognition items and how they're used. One comment that was made was that the students aren't allowed to wear the cords and stoles and such for graduation because "hardly any schools use those anyway." I think you may be interested in a few numbers about how many students each year receive some of our honor items. They support the point that many schools DO indeed allow their students to receive and display their well deserved honors at graduation. In the 2013 - 2014 school year our troupes inducted more than 39,400 HS and 5,500 Jr thespians. Here are just a few examples of the quantities of some recognition items that were awarded to troupe members last year. Junior Thespian induction pins 1,629 Thespian induction pins 17,232 Thespian honor stoles 2,593 Thespian honor cords 8,575 Scholar pins 848 Scholar cords 2,306 I'd love to hear stories from those of you who have been successful. How did you win the support of your administration? What does it mean to your students? ------------------------------------------- David LaFleche Director Of Membership Educational Theatre Association Cincinnati OH -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-26-2014 07:24
    For graduation, our Thespians wear white collars(V-stoles) with the Thespian patch sewn on the front. We did have a struggle at first. Our administration wouldn't allow any stoles because they only wanted the school stole. The chords were used for Honor Society, Beta Club and other academic honor societies. I had to show that the Thespian Society was an honor society for Theatre students because the students had to earn points to be eligible and it was internationally recognized. I had to find something besides a stole or chord to recognize the Thespians so we chose the collars. The Thespians like that their recognition is different than the other groups and really stands out against the graduation gown color. The only problem is that the EdTA does not offer the collars so we had to buy them from a third party and sew the Thespian patches on ourselves. I would love for the EdTA to possibly look into producing the collars but many of your schools may allow the chords or stoles. I think the main way to get your administration to allow them to be worn is to convince them that it is an honor society. My students really love to be recognized at graduation for their accomplishments in Theatre. They are extremely proud of this honor. We actually make a big deal about it. We recognize them at our end of the year banquet, call them up on stage and give them their collar in front of their parents and peers. Hope this helps. ------------------------------------------- Debbie Prost Johns Creek GA -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-27-2014 13:30
    I've used either Honor Stoles or Medals since our School opened (Stansbury High School Troupe 7487) I've never had a problem with Administration. I started out with the stoles, but switched to the medals due to cost. We also use the Mask logo in the program to denote the seniors who are members of the Thespian Society. ------------------------------------------- Glen Carpenter Tooele UT -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-10-2014 12:44
    Check with your principal first.  My district does not allow stoles.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 11.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-11-2014 06:31
    Actually, I ordered a stole and a medal this year to see what they looked like. The stole was short, cheap looking, had threads hanging from it and a section where the stitching wasn't completed. It was perhaps just a bad stole. However, it was cheesy looking and not what I expected. However, the medal looked great and my honor Thespian loved it. Also, our high school has stoles already and since this stole was so much shorter, the medal was able to be seen and wasn't hidden by the school stole. ------------------------------------------- Amy Sidwell Director of Theatrical Arts Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy Canby OR -------------------------------------------

• 12.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-11-2014 08:56
    Please keep the feedback coming. This is extremely helpful and encouraging. There are many ways that you, as a troupe director, can choose to use the cords, stoles, and medallions for. Often these are presented at an induction ceremony or awards banquet, even if they cannot be worn outside (hint, hint,) the graduation gowns. They do look fantastic in a student's graduation pictures from before or after the ceremony, when they all may be proudly displayed.

NEW for 2015, thanks to input from our members, ALL cords will include an ITS charm like our graduation tassels have, to identify that as an ITS honor item. ALL stoles, honor and scholar, will be made with an embroidered patch replacing the silk-screened icons. We'll also be adding an academics collar for Thespian Scholar recognition. That will have a patch and will be a new addition. We've got more in the works for you but that's enough teasing for now.

Anyone have a creative way of presenting or using the honor cords or other recognition items?

Happy to replace the stole, Amy. You obviously DID get "a bad one." I regret that and will make it right. Please contact the national office and the service center will take care of it for you. I'm very happy the medallion worked well in your school.

David LaFleche
    Director Of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 13.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-11-2014 11:45
    We use both chords and stoles in our school. I would also recommend talking to your principal about policy before you announce anything. I had to talk to my principal about the stoles when I took over the department. They had not been allowed previously. Once I pointed out that these were honors that were awarded for excellence the kids were allowed to wear them at graduation. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 14.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-12-2014 06:49
    I wad told that we couldn't do cords - it's only allowed for community service and NHS. I ordered the medals instead and my students figured out that if they wore them under their robes until just before they stated their walk no one was the wiser ;-) This year I only did one medal style but next year we will have different medal styles for the various levels of honor. I'm also considering having them engraved on the back with the students name and honor level. ------------------------------------------- Laura Steenson Theatre Director Reynolds High School Troutdale OR -------------------------------------------

• 15.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-13-2014 18:19
    Hey All,

To support Shira's point, once I was able to show the administration that the students had "earned" the recognition and that there was a "National Standard" for doing so, they were more agreeable.  

One of the Arguments was that the colors of the cords would match other groups at graduation and I am really glad that there are choices. (note: my school colors are blue and yellow)

I also heard arguments like, "Should the art club give out cords for throwing a clay pot, or painting a picture. I informed them that all of the graduating Senior Drama Students were not getting to wear cords. Since some of them had not earned enough points to qualify. This indicated to some of the Administrators the veracity of the recognition. Full Disclosure: of the three students who did not qualify, one was very upset about it including tears, calls from parents, etc...  

Thanks,

James Auld
    Technical Director
    Las Virgenes Unified School District
    Agoura Hills CA
    ETCP Certified Rigger - Arena

• 16.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-14-2014 06:22
    The interesting problem I ran into this year was that Josten (I think it was them) had their own theatre cords. The standard acting cords were still blue and yellow, but the tech were black and blue. I used up the cords that the former teacher had ordered for tech then I'm switching to the tech cords from the EDTA. As has been said recently, these kids work hard and should get recognition. ------------------------------------------- Alan Strait Teacher CCSD Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

• 17.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 07-15-2014 08:35
    I don't know where the black and blue cords came from, Alan, but they weren't from the EdTA national office. Any cords, stoles, or medallions we sell will stick within our official colors of blue and yellow, with additional options of white to accommodate the schools where blue, yellow, or the mix won't work.

It's GREAT that you recognize the techs. (says this former HS tech.) It says to the world that the show could not go on without them and that their work is worth of recognition by an honor society. 

You indeed are acting well your part.

David LaFleche
    Director Of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 18.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 10-16-2014 17:37
    David -
    At Festival this year, you mentioned there was an advocacy powerpoint about honors recognition to give to administrators..... I have looked but can't locate it. Perhaps you could share a link for those of us struggling to get permission? 

Brieanne Witte
    Pocatello ID

• 19.  RE: Thespian Honor Cords

Posted 10-17-2014 07:54
    When I first started ITS at my school my students were not allowed to wear cords because "cords are only for honor societies."  My explanations (including paperwork) that it IS an honor society fell on deaf ears, perhaps because grades are not part of membership.  However, once I had ITS up and running, the music and journalism teachers decided to charter honor societies as well.  Then we were all allowed to wear cords, although we did have to work out the color issue because the journalism society, Quill and Scroll, are also blue and gold, and blue is one of our school colors.  Part of it was that the Quill and Scroll sponsor was a well-respected 30 year veteran teacher.  If you can get someone like that on your side, it really helps.

We present cords and medals at our induction ceremony, as well as other awards and honors.  The medals are for special awards that I choose based on service to the Troupe and exemplifying the Thespian ideals.  They aren't allowed to wear the medals at graduation, though.

Kit Rodgers
    New Hampshire Chapter Co-Director
    Dover NH