Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-27-2018 09:45
    Good Day all.  I was planning on making my final selection for the spring musical at our school but I have a couple things I wanted to run past this group as I value your thoughts and ideas.  

In looking at my casting pool for next season, I find that I could do the following shows comfortably with a couple hiccups.  Any thoughts would be welcome -

I am thinking either Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  Yes, I have the guys and the Narrator to do it. 

I'd really love to do Oklahoma because I adore the book and it provides some great character development - I have the main characters - a little short on dancers....but!  The only real challenge here is that I have a 38 day rehearsal schedule and this show is Looooooooong!  Does anyone have any good cuts to help alleviate process time? 

Lastly - but more challenging, would be Pippin.  I love this show but my school is pretty conservative and I cringe at the thought of "cleaning up" the orgy/drug scene.  

I'd really appreciate thoughts on Oklahoma - any short cuts?  I just feel like the 2 hour and 45 minute length of the show might be a bit much

--
    David Valdes
    Director of Theatre

UNIVERSITY LAKE SCHOOL
    4024 Nagawicka Road
    PO Box 290, Hartland, WI  53029
    ph: 262.367.6011 x1322   fax: 262.367.3146

• 2.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-27-2018 10:12
    We did Pippin and our treatment of the orgy scene totally worked. I told my choreographer to make it more sensuous and teasing than full on "grindy" (I think those were my exact words). The male dancers in the scene also played up a bit of comedy, so the scene was fun but still left Pippin feeling "empty" at the end. We also shortened that dance number, because it's CRAZY long!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-28-2018 07:45
    David, there is a G2K version of Oklahoma.  If you are a high school that may not be challenging enough for you as they run about 60-70 minutes. http://www.rnh.com/show/377/Getting-to-KnowOklahoma%21

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 4.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-28-2018 08:23
    I have directed all three and Joseph is by far my favorite. Yes, Oklahoma is long and has multiple challenges, but keep in mind that your Curley must be incredibly strong as that character carries the show in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with Pippin and I kept that scene on the funny side - no need to lose your job over a show when it is easily fixed with director choices. Joseph, to me, is just a great show. My set consisted of a large book and the narrators (I used two females) would turn the page for each new location. I focused on the costumes and dances for this show. I have directed over 100 shows and hands down this is in my top five of best experiences. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I only had the boys.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-28-2018 15:22
      |   view attached
    ​Big fan of Joseph. Here is a picture from our production.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-29-2018 21:08
    We just closed Joseph last weekend - 2nd time we have done the show.  People LOVE this show - we literally had to turn people away from our last performance (and we have a 1,000 seat auditorium).

Rob Gentry
    Director of Theatre
    Perrysburg High School
    Perrysburg, OH
    rgentry@perrysburgschools.net
    419-874-3181 ext 5105

• 7.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-29-2018 17:42

Not sure why your production of Oklahoma would be that long? I produced it and we came in at 2 hours 20 minutes and that included intermission. (Much shorter than Fiddler or Peter Pan BTW) I think you can certainly look at shortening the Dream Ballet (unless you have a very strong dance program you will probably need to anyway) and as with most older musicals, it's always very easy to cut or cut down the huge number of reprises. You need permission of course, but for musical cuts, that's rarely a problem I've found. 

Joseph... is very short, so you are ahead of the game there. But I love the old musicals and feel like as an educational program I need to commit to exposing kids to a full range of musical theatre. I recently came into a program that has only produced contemporary musicals for the last few years (Urinetown, Spelling Bee...) and I'm afraid I've continued that tradition so far (Footloose, Fame) but I've come to realize there's a huge gap in my students knowledge of American Musical Theater. They all know every song from Heathers and Dear Evan Hanson, but none of them knew anything about South Pacific or Brigadoon. So next year I'm determined to do a classic musical come hell or high water (Guys and Dolls or maybe, West Side Story). I feel like it's just being a responsible educator. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 8.  RE: Musical for 2018-2019

Posted 04-30-2018 10:25
    Has anyone done Joseph with a mostly female cast? My students love to play boys, so I am not worried about that, but wonder about getting the music to a place that is singable by females? 

Thank you!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA