Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musicals and Acting

Posted 12-03-2015 07:22

I have another question for anyone who can help.  What musicals also have acting roles, sort of like half singing and half acting (for my non-singers)?
    --
    Craig Cohan
    High School English Teacher
    Stage Crafters Director

• 2.  RE: Musicals and Acting

Posted 12-03-2015 10:23

Aida and Monty Python's SPAMALOT have several spoken parts and my kids really enjoyed performing them.     :)

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Musicals and Acting

Posted 12-04-2015 05:41
    Working is a great ensemble show with lots of parts for singers and non singers alike. Based on the book by Studs Terkel, it has songs written by James Taylor and the composer of Wicked, among others.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Musicals and Acting

Posted 12-04-2015 05:52

Fiddler on the Roof is a wonderful combination of acting and singing, with a great mix of comedy and pathos. Need a strong male lead for Tevye, but otherwise...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Musicals and Acting

Posted 12-04-2015 14:00

Most of the old school musicals provide plenty of roles where strong voices aren't needed:

Music Man needs a solid barbershop quartet and soprano but everyone else is charactery

Hello Dolly needs a great female lead but everyone else is rather charactery

Mame works too

If you have at least 2-3 great singers almost any show written between 1940-1960 you can swing since most of them have two set of leads: the lovers (who generally have to sing) and the character leads (like Adelaide/Nathan in Guys and Dolls).  

My Fair Lady is just the lead female who needs to sing.

I love old musicals so I could keep going - modern ones are great too but the demands that they started requiring of performers starting int he 1980's are hard for young voices to keep up with.  We certainly have risen to level in many places - but old school is probably the best with beginning/novice singers  (Cinderella is also a good one).

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO