Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  HELP! Best microphones??

Posted 01-05-2020 09:36
    Our school is upgrading our "cafetorium" and finally getting a performing arts center. They asked me for my input on what microphones I want for the new facility. Currently we only have 10 wireless Audio Technica mics-two are lavaliers and the rest are countrymen. I will obviously be asking for more than 10 mics but I want to know what everyone's recommendations for brands and styles of mics are for musical theatre. Any insight will help!!

------------------------------
    Ashley Gabriel
    Teacher/Director
    Girard OH

• 2.  RE: HELP! Best microphones??

Posted 01-06-2020 06:25
    Hello Ashley,

I highly recommend the "Embrace" mic from Point Source Audio. It can be worn over the ear or in the hairline with equal effectiveness. They are far more durable than countryman and virtually student proof so if there is mic sharing during a show there is less chance of damage. They will work with your existing packs (just order with the proper connector) so maybe you can afford more than 10. I am fortunate to have 30 of these microphones and I am thrilled with them.

Congrats on the new PAC! Break a leg.

Will

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Theatre K-12
    The Village School of Naples
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 3.  RE: HELP! Best microphones??

Posted 01-06-2020 08:58
    I have 16 Shure QLXD.  I like them. I have point source elements and they are great!

Christine Causer
    Teacher/Production Manager
    BURLINGTON NJ

• 4.  RE: HELP! Best microphones??

Posted 01-07-2020 13:03
    I have (28) Shure QLXD wireless transmitters/receivers and use a combination of the ​sure WL93 lav and bodymics BLF4 microphones. Bodymics is a big sponsor of festival and the sound is quite amazing. It is important that when upgrading that you pay attention to frequencies. The FCC just sold a bunch of frequencies that disabled 13 of my mics and I have to search for new frequencies. Such a pain. You don't want to spend a lot of money and then not be able to use team.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 5.  RE: HELP! Best microphones??

Posted 01-08-2020 08:29
    I am tracking this post too. Thank you for starting the thread. I am only dreaming of a new fine arts building, but I am on this list for some possible upgrades to what I currently have which is what I call my Frankenstein system.  I have three different (cheap) brands of quad sets of transmitters and receivers. I bought what I could afford at the time.  I hope to work in new transmitters and receivers when the money becomes available, but until then, I am just curious, if I switch out just my off brand mics to better mics, would that help my sound quality? My biggest sound issues are the "breathing" static sounds. 

And I have no idea about frequencies either! I am so over my head with all of this!

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 6.  RE: HELP! Best microphones??

Posted 01-08-2020 11:02

Analiese, your issue is likely a frequency coordination issue. Not all frequencies play well together. When adding additional mics to  a system, the new ones must be properly coordinated so as to not cause intermmods (the static you are likely hearing). There might be something you can do with your existing wireless systems if they can be retuned to other frequencies so that they are all coordinated. That would definitely be worth a call to your local sound provider. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI