Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-04-2019 11:42
    Hello community!!  I was wondering which program or application you would recommend for playing sound cues and music from a laptop computer?  I want something reliable with a fairly straightforward and intuitive interface.  Something that has the capabilities to deliver what you want, but the user (SOUND PERSON) does not need a ton of skill.  let me know. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kenneth Gibson
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonburg VA

• 2.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-04-2019 12:23

You are most likely looking at 2 different pieces of software, one for editing, and one for show playback. I have been using Show Cue System for a long time now for show playback. I love it, and it is very easy for students to pick up. We use Audacity for sound editing. That is a free program. Qlab and SFX are also both very popular for show playback. Essentially all 3 pieces of playback software do the same thing, but have a different way of doing it. Some are only available on Mac, so that can be an issue if your district does not support it. I would recommend downloading the trial version of each to see which interface you think is the better fit for your group.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-05-2019 00:49
    Another vote for QLab. The free version is all most theaters need for sound, but if you love it and want to do more with projections and lighting - it’s worth every dollar.

---------------------------------
    Kyle Holmes
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Granite Bay High School
    Granite Bay, CA

Check out Ranked, A New Musical at RankedMusical.com
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-05-2019 07:55
    I have also used Show Cue System for years. Great program, kids pick it up quickly.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 5.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-06-2019 07:26
    QLab! It is a great and easy program, my students are able to design sound easily as well.

Emily Mokrycki
    Omaha Burke High School, Theatre Director
    Nebraska Thespians, Co-Chapter Director

• 6.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-07-2019 05:05
    QLab is definitely my first choice, but it can be expensive. I've also used a program called MultiPlay. It's free and super reliable.

https://www.da-share.com/software/multiplay/

Robert Mentele
    Janesville WI

• 7.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-07-2019 06:43
    There is an School discount for Qlab if you do choose it. 
    --
    Emily Mokrycki

"All the best performers bring their role something more, something different than what the  author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists." --Stephen Sondheim

• 8.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-07-2019 14:22
    Adding another vote for Show Cue System. QLab is more likely to be used in the professional world but I am not a MAC user, nor are they supported in our district. So Show Cue System is our way to go. The interface is very intuitive and easy to figure out. The help docs are also very good. In addition, the developer is always willing to help and answer questions. There are a number of user levels available to fit your needs.

My kids never have a problem with the learning curve, but once programmed (by a knowledgeable user) the operator is just hitting GO on cue. Easy as that.

Vicki Palmer
    Theatre Technical Director
    Hickman High School - Home of the Kewpies
    International Thespian Society Troupe #5568
    Columbia, MO

• 9.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-16-2019 23:30
    QLab is a great tool for Mac

Another option that many overlook is Virtual DJ.  You can edit and playback sfx.  It also has the feature to play videos (MAC and Win).

Neptune Pringle
    Washington DC

• 10.  RE: Best program for playing sound cues, music, etc.

Posted 10-22-2019 12:29
    I have used QLAB for years and it is very effective. Recently I worked with a school that used Go Button, and it was another easy to use program. A couple of my collogues use iTunes and create playlists.  ​

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School