Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 12-16-2019 15:53
    Hi all,

My school's backdrop is very old and has been repainted many times.  My department is starting to research where to buy a new blank backdrop.  Ideally, the company could also assist us with installation.  We are located in St. Charles, MO.  Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks,

Theresa Velazquez
    Duchesne High School
    St. Charles, MO

• 2.  RE: Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 12-17-2019 08:46
    Hi,

Any number of vendors are available. That being said, you may wish to look at Texas Scenic (https://www.texasscenic.com/ ) and/or Rosebrand. ( https://www.rosebrand.com/)

Thanks,

Dana

------------------------------
    Dana Taylor
    Dana W. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    Evansville IN

• 3.  RE: Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 12-17-2019 11:35
    Hi Theresa,

Rose Brand is always a good choice when dealing with curtains or backdrops.  Another choice is Blacksheep  Enterprises.  They are located in Southern California, however, they do excellent work and install as well.  You can give Zachery a call at 818-909-2299 or email at zac@blacksheepent.net.  They replaced all of the curtains in my little theatre and they still look great.  They even come and clean them too.  I've also worked with Rose Brand and they too are very good.

Best,

Mack

Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    GUSD
    Glendale CA

• 4.  RE: Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 12-18-2019 09:55

Good Morning –

I have two suggestions, Norcostco is a large Scenic and Costume Company out of Minneapolis, MN https://www.norcostco.com/drapery.aspx.  My other suggestion is, contact the Technical Director at the Repertory Theatre of St. Louis http://www.repstl.org/about/staff.  She should have a suggestion or two of a company that might be more local for you.

Good Luck with your project.

Don

Don Keith
    Set Designer | Partner
    The KEILIN Group | KL two
    PO Box 1019
    Exton, PA 19341
    o: 610.873.2506
    www.keilingroup.com
    www.kltwo.com
    don@keilingroup.com

• 5.  RE: Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 12-18-2019 10:50
    Theresa, I think you are probably talking about your muslin cyc. 

If you want to tie on the new curtain yourself, or have maintenance in your system who can tie it on, you can accurately measure your existing cyc and order the new curtain without having someone visit your school.    

If you aren't sure if your rigging is safe--for instance, if your pipe is hung by twisted link "dog chain"--you should find a company that will come to your school to check the rigging and measure for the new muslin.  Search under "stage drapery" or "theatre curtains" to find fabricators in your area.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 10-07-2020 12:22

Hello Theresa,
    I looked at your question, and I would like to inform you about the Brand Saaria Inc, They Provide premium backdrops at the best prices in the market ( telling from personal experience ).

Alex David
    Orlando FL

• 7.  RE: Where to purchase a new backdrop

Posted 10-08-2020 08:19
    Rose Brand and IWEISS are great to work with.  Additionally, you can make them yourself if you want to start doing that, it's pretty simple.  I would think your district maintenance personnel could help you hang the drop, unless you have some special rigging circumstances.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC