Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-03-2017 19:33
    Ok,

So I just finished a very successful season (Peter and the Starcatcher and The School of Rock). I have done Spelling Bee and Wedding Singer in the past, they were also well received. I am considering doing CATS because I think it would be fun, I have the performers for it, it will be challenging, and definitely very different than School of Rock. But, I am worried that it will not go over as well because people are so polarized on the show. They either love it or hate it. I am really at a loss as to where to go after my last show, especially because of how much people loved it. Thoughts?????

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-04-2017 07:40
    Oh, how was School of Rock? I'm considering that for next year and just waiting to get the perusal. I'm a little nervous about having all the right kids and the right instruments.

Sorry to highjack! I thought about Cats a couple of years ago, but I just couldn't get inspired by it. It should certainly have some name draw, though! You could do some cool animal work/physical theatre training with your students and maybe bring in a makeup artist to help them design their own cat look, which would help your actors buy in to the choice.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-05-2017 07:28
    Just directed School of Rock this year...it was a BLAST!
    Loved every minute of it and the audience went crazy.
    I am directing CATS in the fall and cannot wait!
    The makeup, costumes, dancing, staging...looking forward to 
    the challenge and to help people actually understand the meaning
    behind the show. 
    People who don't like it...will love it when I am done! ;)

• 4.  RE: Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-05-2017 12:53
    Wow..., great minds think alike I guess... lol. How do you plan to make your costumes? I'd love to share ideas since we will both be doing the show! My email is rachelzsparks@gmail.com

Rachel Sparks
    Ches Beach MD

• 5.  RE: Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-04-2017 10:41
    I'll admit to being a little biased (I love Cats... probably the dancer in me) and would love to hear more high schools are doing the show. That being said, I think it's probably a better idea to steer away from it if you have any concerns. You know your audience and community so if you think there is a potential issue you are probably correct. 

How many strong singers do you have? Here are some potential shows that are completely different in style but are a lot of fun (if you can do them)

Drowsy Chaperone
    Aida
    SPAMalot
    Urinetown
    Chicago
    Into The Woods

I'm not sure how conservative your community is, so I just threw out some names.  :^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-05-2017 06:08
    School of Rock was awesome, but the most challenging show I've ever done! Used two sound boards and 40 wireless mics, 20 moving head led lights, and had 3 sets of speakers. Balancing the pit and on stage instruments as tough. There are 22 scene transitions too. That being said... it was also the BEST show I have ever done. The hard work paid off. You have to have a Dewey who can really sing and who is phenomenal comedic and physical actor to pull it off though. 

As as far as CATS go... I think I'll pack the house... just not sure how High School audiences will respond. I have the kids who can sing it for sure. The dancing will take lots of practice... but I think we can get it.

Rachel Sparks
    Ches Beach MD

• 7.  RE: Musical Advice Needed!

Posted 05-05-2017 11:40
    Several years ago we did Cats and it went so much better than we could have expected. It was one of our most attended shows ever and with 988 seats in our auditorium we almost packed it out every performance and even considered a third weekend encore. 

I think a lot of people came thinking it would be a disaster and they wanted to watch the train wreck. I think others came because they love the show. The rest were just moms, dads, and grandparents who will come for anything. Every one of those groups expressed how surprised they were that they enjoyed it and how well it went. 

I hate that people don't like the show or say it has no plot, when it really is a cool and very interesting show. It's super challenging in terms of vocals and dance for your students, but it does have the advantage of pretty much one set and generally one costume per character, which really makes your time and money for tech go far. It also leaves room for as many students as you'd like to participate, since some of the big dance and chorus numbers could incorporate a huge cast or sections of cast moving on and off. We used a lot of our choir students for challenging vocal areas, and we used band dance line and other dance students to fill in some big dance breaks, and of course highlighted our triple threats in named roles and solo dance/song numbers, plus had room for growing students who weren't yet strong in any area. If you have the kids for it, I'd say go for it. So much room to play and explore the story in so many different ways. 

The audience will come. Especially if you have a reputation for good work the way it sounds like you do. Plus you will draw in some people who might not have come otherwise,  just from the title. I don't think you'll scare off potential audience members with it at all.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair