Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-24-2018 19:24
    Hello Everyone!

I am in need of some leads in how to raise funds for a new light board, our current strand I inherited is not looking to last so long and with that being said I need help in finding ways to fund a new board. Any suggestions?

Also I am on the hunt for some CD80 Dual 2.4KW Dimmer Module's. Anyone know where I might can find some? Our rack holds 80 and we currently have 20 or 21.

------------------------------
    Joseph Ellison
    Theatre Director
    Rio Rico High School
    Rio Rico, AZ

• 2.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-24-2018 21:00
    Search for lighting companies that offer gents. I know there are a few in NJ who do (Starlite). Good luck!

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-25-2018 09:58
    Have you looked at the American theatre Wing Grants?  Here is the URL -America Theatre Wing

Cathy

• 4.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-25-2018 08:07

If your school has a PTO, see if they have any grant money available, or if they would help you fundraiser.

We are doing our second summer camp this year. We made a little over 2,000 from last year's camp, and we have grown from 24 to 36 campers this year. 

See if any of your parents have done large-scale fundraising and could help you seek corporate sponsors. 

I assume you already have, but talk to your administration. You're not the only one who would benefit from this equipment; maybe there are funds available to help pay for it.

Host a series of drama workshops on weekends in the fall for your feeder elementary schools. Organize your students now and talk to principals to see how you can publicize it. 

If you sell concessions at your shows, try getting parents to donate the items you are selling and instead of pricing every item, put up a sign that says you are accepting donations, and all proceeds will go to purchasing your new sound board. Some people will pay $20 for a brownie if they know where the money is going. We raised almost $300 from concessions alone during our fall musical. 

Good luck to you!

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-25-2018 11:31
    Following. I'd really like to purchase mirrors for my classroom (especially if we add mask work to the curriculum next year). Unfortunately, the ALW grant does not hit at the right time frame for me, as we would need them prior to our January production.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-25-2018 13:31
    Some utilities will offer grants for things such as that.  Our school, for example, received a grant from our utility to install a variable speed control on the theater's AC Unit, which must save thousands over the course of a year.

Also, light boards have come down considerably in price, so the expense may not be what you think it might be.  It varies a great deal on the type of board/computer you want to go with.  I would recommend getting in touch with several vendors to get some bids, then, you might have a better idea of your needs and better pursue your fundraising.  For example, would your admin cover half the cost if you could raise half, etc?

Good luck on the fundraising, their are a lot of great ideas out their.  Personally, I would look at organizing a draw down dinner to benefit specifically the need you are looking at.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 7.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-25-2018 14:09

Regarding where to find lighting equipment - if you're looking for funding and want to keep your costs down, check out www.usedlighting.com. It's hit and miss – depends on what they have in stock at the time (sort of the Costco of lighting equipment), but you can often find what you need for a lot cheaper ("professionally maintained" and refundable). It looks like they have a good selection at this time! 

In regards to what board to purchase – just as general information for anyone in this situation - I do not recommend an ETC Ion. It's way overkill for a high school theatre. Unless you have moving lights and a professional staff member to teach and mentor your students. Or, unless, you yourself are comfortable programming light boards and have the time to teach and mentor your students.  The good news is that once our digital native students learn how to use the board, they will go on to teach the next year's students, but that means guaranteeing that you will always have some lighting-geek students to carry on the training - the year(s) you don't, it will be up to you.  At the risk of being controversial, if you don't have any LEDs and/or if you don't have someone who knows how to program light boards, I think an ETC Express is a great board for high school theatre.  Mid-range (in terms of your comfort level) would be the ETC Element or some of the Strand Palette series.  I've also heard that Leprecon makes a good level board for high school theatres too, although I haven't worked on one.

Here's some things to ask yourself before deciding on how 'state-of-the-art' you want to go. 

Will the theatre be primarily used by students who come and go every few years? 

Will there be vocational training for students each year? 

How many students a year will want to learn to be lighting technicians? 

Will the theatre program have a CTE certified tech theatre teacher? 

Will the theatre be staffed by professional technicians/TD/TM? 

Who will work with the students to teach them how to run the board and mentor them each year? 

Will the theatre be rented to outside users?  

Will outside users expected (and permitted) to be able to run their own lights or will there be staff or student crews every year? 

Who will restore the equipment after each show/event in preparation for the next user?

The sophistication level of the board you get can be determined by 'designing backwards' – by first answering these questions and then looking for a board that best suits your situation. I've seen too many Drama (acting) teachers tearing their hair out over state-of-the-art boards that have been provided without any regard as to how the theatre program is run, to the point that they don't use them to their full potential, and in one case – not at all for a year and a half after installation(!). So be sure to get a light board that suits your theatre program and your own comfort level.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 8.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 05-30-2018 08:42
    ETC has a educational version of the nomad console at a special price for schools and educators, please look into this with your local ETC Dealer

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 9.  RE: Funding Upgrades

Posted 06-01-2018 13:51
    ​Nomad is a great program that mimics the ION.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School