Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins flying?

Posted 06-05-2020 09:49

Hello all!
    Assuming, hoping, praying, sending good vibes into the air that by spring (in New Jersey) we're good to go with a regular spring musical, my team is looking at Mary Poppins. However, we were told that flying in our facility because our mechanisms above our stage are too high that it can't be done. Anyone have any resources for not flying Mary Poppins, or seen it done to where it's still exciting? My wheels are already turning for creative blocking, but outside of that, looking for ideas! 

Thank you! 

------------------------------
    Cori Bott
    Jackson NJ

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins flying?

Posted 06-06-2020 13:34
    We went with a kind of 3D silhouette when Mary flew. She disappeared behind a piece of set, then the silhouette ascended away. We also added some creative lighting to adjust. 
    When she returned with the kite. We placed the kite on the same wire as the silhouette and had them come down together. 

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins flying?

Posted 06-06-2020 14:57
    That's a really cool idea to use a silhouette.  Those could even be projected rear screen.  We used the projections from BMD.  It worked really well as there are some animations of Mary flying that when coupled with some simple entrances and exits can be pretty convincing.  One could design their own projections though and incorporate animated silhouettes. That would be cool.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins flying?

Posted 06-06-2020 19:45
    Hi Cori

If there is a structure above your stage, a flying system can be installed for Mary Poppins.  I am happy to chat with you about the options if you like.

All my best!!

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head (tnunnallu@niu.edu)
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer (tracy@getvertigo.com)
    Nuthouse Design & Production - Owner/CEO (tracy@nuthouse.com)
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer/Employer
    I.A.T.S.E.
    DeKalb, Illinois