Open Forum

View Only

Other platforms than Zoom

• 1.  Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-19-2020 22:14
    Our school district has banned the use of Zoom due to FERPA regulations. They have legal looking into it - but for now, it's a no go.   Other platforms or ideas for performing virtually?

------------------------------
    Jane Archuleta
    Brighton CO

• 2.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-20-2020 08:10
    Also would love to learn about other options. Thanks!

Kate Lindsay
    Salina KS

• 3.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-21-2020 08:01
    Hi,

I have the same issue with my school and Zoom. Look into Streamyard. It seems to be a viable alternative.

Good luck,

Sheila Newton
    Choir and Drama Director
    Franklin MA

• 4.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-20-2020 08:22
    Hi Jane,

So many of us are in your same situation, and it stinks. I started using Zoom in March and was told he same thing.  

It's frustrating and not what we signed on for, but too many of us Drama and Musical Theatre nerds now have to become tech-geeks.  We are no longer teaching acting and literature; we are now ersatz film schools and have to focus on new delivery systems.  

However, here are two possible solutions:
    1) Google Meets - similar to Zoom but without some of the "bells and whistles".  The benefit is that most systems use Google Classroom and other services so security issues are lessened.  The drawback with GoogleMeets, as well as Zoom (or any streaming service), is that there may be lag-time and other glitches.  Therefore, I would suggest....

2) Record your production.  You can rehearse via a streaming service, but when time comes to perform, don't have the audience "log in" to watch a live performance.  Instead, you will have the kids perform remotely, record their work via ScreenCastify (which is a free add-on in Google) and then you or someone will have to edit their performances together.  If you've seen any of the large groups of singers on YouTube such as Dream Theater - Hymn Of A Thousand Voices ... - YouTubewww.youtube.com › watch this is exactly what they do (but they have weeks to do it and a crew of very sophisticated editors working on the project).  

The point is that if you pre-record your kids and then edit them, the finished product will be much cleaner.  The process will also be easier since you won't have to worry about "Oh crap, my lead just muted herself?" or "Dang, my screen just froze."  Of course there is a learning curve with learning the editing process in Googles ScreenCastify, iMovie, or any other software.  In addition, your tech theatre students may love the new challenge of becoming a film and post-production crew.  Many of my own kids are already very savvy with video editing (who knew?!?) and can't wait until we begin work on our shows.

Break a leg!!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 5.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-21-2020 09:26
    Thanks for sharing Josh!  This is exactly what our plan is so far.  We are starting the school year in person (as of now) and will be filming our production of Laramie Project in small segments and then editing it together to stream to the audience.  I intend to do the larger scenes first in case we shut down.  If we need to have the actors film themselves because of a shutdown I believe it will transition well to virtual.  We are very fortunate to have a strong TV/Film Program at our school and many of the crew kids are able to film and edit everything.  Certainly a different year but we are actually excited to try something new.

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 6.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-21-2020 12:01
    Great idea about the live--then edited approach. I believe this is how the Alliance Theatre did their teen summer camps Collision Project performance. (Atlanta)

Rosemary M. Milsap
    Cedar Shoals HS
    Director, Cedar Theatre
    milsapr@clarke.k12.ga.us
    706-546-5375 ext.21321

• 7.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-20-2020 08:49

I can second the use of Google Meets for class performances, if that is what you're looking for, versus school production performances. Google is working very hard to make themselves school friendly, but it does lose some of the features that zoom has. however, Google Meets has a ton of extensions that you can add on to replicate some of Zoom's features, but some require that the students have the extensions as well, so you would have to check with your school or district to work out the logistics of getting student access to those extensions. 

These two videos can walk you through some basic extensions that can make google meats better.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x3gj6PxryHs
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1rVmDc6mc

Erin Philyaw
    Von Steuben MSC
    Chicago IL

• 8.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-20-2020 10:38
    Zoom is working WITH school districts to make it work with mandated guidelines. Worth letting your admin know as many districts are "zooming it" right now.

--
    Rosemary M. Milsap                    
    Cedar Shoals HS                                               
    Director, Cedar Theatre                                    
    milsapr@clarke.k12.ga.us                       
    706-546-5375  ext.21321                                     

• 9.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-20-2020 11:18
    We have had good success with StreamYard.  It's a pretty user friendly online streaming program.  And you have sort of a "stage manager" who controls who is on screen at once, if they are muted, how they are arranged.  And it can stream to multiple platforms at once including youtube (you can even make a private link so it's not streaming out to the world) and facebook groups, etc.  There is a free version you can play around with, and then you can do a paid version that is not expensive at all - and can do a monthly subscription.  We like it a lot!

[Melissa] [Brassard]
    [Technical Theatre Director]
    [Hammond Academy for the Performing Arts]
    [Morton High School]
    [Hammond][IN]

• 10.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-22-2020 09:05
    I was lucky, this past spring I was able to use Zoom to work with Amherst Junior High theatre students to produce the 60 minute musical "Through the Looking Glass"
    which will have a ONE TIME SHOWING ONLY!
    This coming Saturday, August 29 at 7:00 pm
    on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/EdaKfMHD764

Please feel free to watch!

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    Amherst Junior High
    Amherst, Ohio

• 11.  RE: Other platforms than Zoom

Posted 08-23-2020 09:00
    Valarie,

Can’t wait to watch! It’s a Pioneer Production, 💕 Pioneer. Scripts are great & they are so easy to work with. I will probably go with Pioneer or Eldridge this season for Record & Stream. Break-a-leg! I’ll be watching.

Maria Stadtmueller

Sent from my iPhone

Mary Trump Is Out With Another Bombshell
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f42682e31467682e2bfast03duc1
    House Votes to Drop $25B on USPS
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f42682e4db90682e2bfast03duc2
    Pelosi in Rare Saturday Session: 'Ignore' Trump
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f42682e6843c682e2bfast03duc3