Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-11-2018 12:13
    When performing You Can't Take it With You, how many take two intermissions vs. one. Should it be broken up into three acts, or is it more standard to do the traditional two acts?

------------------------------
    Mary Valdez
    Wichita KS

• 2.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-12-2018 07:38
    I’ve directed it twice and did it each time as a traditional three act, due to the length. I made the first intermission traditional and the second one much shorter. Good luck. Fun show.
    G

• 3.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-12-2018 08:00
    I have done it twice in 20+ years and have taken two intermissions once and not the other. I feel strongly that the intermission must be taken after the explosion of fireworks in the basement.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-12-2018 08:39
    It has been awhile since I directed it, but I recall only taking one true 15 minute intermission.
    If need be, I have had a 3 - 5 minute "stretch your legs" and partially light the house area type of mini intermission. That can work if you need the time to change the set drastically, but don't want to add an additional long intermission, which could make the night too late.
    I can't find my script, so don't recall if I made the intermission after Act 1 or Act 2.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 5.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-12-2018 08:48
    Just did this last year!  We did one intermission after Act II.  It worked well!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster IN

• 6.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-12-2018 09:19
    Two intermissions.  The first one a little longer than the second one.  Great show!  Enjoy!!!

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 7.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-12-2018 10:26
    We did it in 2015, and we took one intermission at the point where the Kirby's arrive for dinner a day early.  Everyone did a quick take to the door, then we had a black-out and quick curtain.  After intermission, we began again with the same business a few seconds before the doorbell.  We just replayed Tony's "Good evening" at the door.

Very, very rarely does any theatre take two intermissions in our town, and we have tons of theatre here.  On the occasion that a theatre decides to take those two intermissions originally written in for a show, at least one-third of the audience leaves at the second intermission.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-13-2018 06:58
    We did one 15 min intermission after the fireworks explode in the basement. It went fine.

Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher/PAC Manager
    Mukwonago WI

• 9.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-14-2018 15:43
    Honor the playwright's structure.

In 35 years, the only changes I've made have been to Shakespeare or scripts in public domain. 

I think your license agreement to produce requires no changes to "the script" without permission.  So if you decide you must make changes, please get permission and then let all your team (and administration) know you've dotted your i's and crossed your t's.

Three act plays (or more) seem a little dated to how we are attuned to today's offerings of 2 - 21/2 hour dramas or comedies or 2 1/2 a 3 hour musicals - all generally two acts in length.  But I have done YCTIWY three times, all three times with a longer interval between I and II and a briefer pause between II and III.  I feel these Act breaks actually served the play very well. 

Things that help: clearly indicate in the program and on a stand at audience entrances these breaks and allotted times.  Use house lighting to help this communication: full lights for a full intermission and half lights for the briefer pause. If you give your audience knowledge up front, they will respond knowledgeably.

It's a lovely play - I never tire from it. Enjoy!

Wayne Kischer
    West Des Moines IA

• 10.  RE: You Can't Take it With You

Posted 09-30-2018 22:33

I've been in You Can't Take it With You twice. The first time it was done, we only took 1 intermission but it was between Acts I and II. The second I did it, in college, the director made the intermission break right after the Kirbys arrive at the house in the middle of Act II, ending with Tony's line "Good Evening." That being said, I only assume he had permission to do this. When in doubt, check with the publishing company and they will tell you how much leeway you have in terms of when/where to take an intermission.

While I definitely agree that a playwright's intentions should be honored, we do have different standards on when/where we take intermissions than playwrights in the time of Shakespeare, Chekov, and even Kauffman & Hart.

Nate Netzley
    Freelance Director/Stage Manager
    New York NY