Open Forum

View Only

Curtain Time?

• 1.  Curtain Time?

Posted 05-09-2014 11:04
    I was wondering what time you start your evening performances?  Does anyone start at 6:30? Have you found that it impacts your ticket sales? It's looking like that will have to be curtain for next year...

-------------------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-09-2014 12:02
    We tend to start the show depending on the length of the production. When we did a 90 minute production of Alice in Wonderland, our curtain was at 7:30pm, but otherwise, we start shows at 7pm. 

Sarah Etheridge
    ITO Communications Editor
    Grinnell IA

• 3.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-09-2014 23:26
    At our school we usually start shows at 7 and doors open at 6:30 on Thursdays and Fridays, on Saturdays we usually start at 12. And we actually usually have a big audience on the late shows than the earlier shows. And since people are getting off work around 5 on Fridays and Thursdays starting at 7 seems like a good time but during the weekend I feel like an earlier time is better.

Adelina Perez
    Albuquerque NM

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-10-2014 08:24
    7pm Thurs-Sat. We only do a Saturday Matinee if it's an extremely kid-friendly show.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 5.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-11-2014 07:52
    We do 7:00 for evening performances, 2:00 for Sunday matinees.  Personally, I would not start an evening performance any earlier than 7:00, particularly a weeknight show, unless dinner was being offered.  We are located about 30 minutes west of Cincinnati (45 minutes during rush hour), and have found that starting any earlier than 7 doesn't allow parents time to get home from work, eat dinner and get to the show.

Mike Morris
    Harrison OH

• 6.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-12-2014 21:34
    Our performances (one Thursday, 3 Fridays, 2 Saturdays) begin at 7 pm.  Being a "bedroom" community, that gives most people a chance to get to a performance after work.  Many of the newer musicals run a full 2 hours and 45 minutes with an intermission.  This means that performances are finished before 10:00.  Matinees (2 Saturdays) begin at 2:00.  Our last performance is always a matinee.  After the performance we do the strike until about 8:30 then have our company party. 

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 7.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-10-2014 21:19
    Many years ago I learned how hard it was for our audiences to remember curtains times for all of our productions and events. I set up a simple system. If it has a plot (musicals, dramas, comedies, scripted works) curtain time is always 7:30 pm. If it does not have a plot (ComedySportz matches, auctions, showcases, banquets, etc) the curtain time is 7:00.

So far, so good. Parents love it when I explain the system and the word quickly spreads to new students and new parents. It's also helped the local paper always get our curtain correct.

Krista Carson Elhai
    California
    Claremont CA

• 8.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-11-2014 09:56

Hello- still loving this forum  I am keeping a list of  show titles for future reference.

We do 7pm for all shows and next year I am going to do Wed through Friday shows.  It seems it will  be easier to get kids and families there and I will not have to pay for a custodian to be in the bldg if he/she is already on duty.   We receive no funding in our district or at our school, so I am watching pennies when I can.

Jan Jensen
    Tucker GA

• 9.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-12-2014 21:52

Adding to my previous post -- I also start our improv shows and other events at 7:00.  The only thing that I do at all differently is the haunted house.  The Friday night goes from 6:00-10:00 and the Saturday night goes from 5:30-8:30 and we strike afterwards. We have a break for snacks/dinner and the booster club brings healthy snacks to help them get through the strike.
    Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 10.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-11-2014 10:15
    We start everything we do at 7:30 except our Cabaret which we do in conjunction with the share Pancake Supper. We start that at 7. ------------------------------------------- Connie Voight Alabama Randolph School Huntsville AL -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-11-2014 10:46
    We usually begin our shows at 7pm and 2pm for matinees.  However, we've had a few scheduling conflicts in the past which required us to begin shows at 6pm.  Surprisingly, we still had our audiences at 6.  Now we are not a large commuter city, so everyone who gets off work at 5pm can still make it to our shows.  I prefer 7pm if I have the choice, but I wouldn't hesitate to begin at 6pm if necessary.

Also, I know that our middle school theatre and dance programs have actually presented class performances at 4:30 and had a full house!  So...I guess you never know...

Have a great day!
    CG

Carolyn Greer
    Kentucky Thespians
    Owensboro HS #3161

• 12.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-11-2014 17:55
    My district actually has a policy that all shows start at 7PM, music, theatre, whatever.  There can be exceptions made, but only with very good reason.  It does seem to help all parents in the district know that unless it's an athletic event, they have a 7PM start.  By the time they get to HS, if you change the time it throws everyone out of whack.  

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 13.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-12-2014 13:51
    For plays I've had a curtain time of 7:30 p.m., doors open at 7.
    The Sunday matinee has a curtain of 2:30 p.m., doors open at 2.

We did our first musical this year since 1961. We had the same curtain times, but they went late. I'll have musical curtain times at 7 p.m. and 2 p.m. for matinees.

No one in my immediate area has a 6 or 6:30 curtain. I wish you the best of luck!

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, Indiana

• 14.  RE:Curtain Time?

Posted 05-13-2014 09:13
    7pm - on Thurs., Fri., and Sat.
    2:30 - Sunday
    Call time is an hour before (some kids like to come even earlier) and we open house at half hour.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head
    Chattanooga TN