Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  script analysis

Posted 05-28-2017 14:12
    Everybody was so helpful in discussing my Comedy of Errors question, here’s a new one: I would like to have my advanced students (Jr’s & Sr’s) break down and analyze a script as a part of teaching directing basics this Fall. Any script title ideas? Of course it needs to be High School appropriate, and I would like something fairly modern (realistic, contemporary language, etc.) Finally, I would like a script that they will find interesting and accessible.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks, Ron G.

• 2.  RE: script analysis

Posted 05-29-2017 11:19
    I love "The Last Night of Ballyhoo" by Alfred Uhry for script analysis and objective/obstacle work.

------------------------------
    Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO

• 3.  RE: script analysis

Posted 05-29-2017 12:22
    thank you, I'll take a look at it.

Ron

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Drama Teacher]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]

• 4.  RE: script analysis

Posted 05-29-2017 18:13
    I know you said modern.  But....a very "modern" play that isn't is An Enemy of the People by Ibsen.  It deals with modern issues of pollution, business vs. science, mob rule, the promise of jobs when there is no promise, and one person standing alone with the truth and willing to suffer consequences.   You could use the Arthur Miller version if you need something more modernly written.

Roger Graziani
    West Covina CA

• 5.  RE: script analysis

Posted 05-29-2017 19:36
    ALMOST, MAINE and JERRY FINNEGAN'S SISTER are two that come to mind. They are very accessible to high school students.

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas High School

• 6.  RE: script analysis

Posted 05-30-2017 11:06
    You'll need parental permission because of language issues, but I used 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft. It's about 9-11 and is incredibly hard hitting. I did a script analysis with my advanced kids in class this year and they all were very invested in it. We actually did it as a class read and analysis rather than an individual one. The kids really fed off of each others ideas.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ