Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The musical Company

Posted 12-05-2017 13:19
    Is the musical Company appropriate for high school and is it too vocally challenging for high schoolers considering that it is Sondheim?

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 2.  RE: The musical Company

Posted 12-05-2017 16:10
    It depends on your audience and how liberal they are. Are they a conservative bunch? If so I wouldn't recommend it. Vocally it is a challenging piece.
    Do you have BroadwayHD? They had 2 versions that you could watch if you are not very familiar with the show.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: The musical Company

Posted 12-06-2017 03:25
    I did it seven years ago - no parent complaints!  But I had a fairly liberal parent base - we did a lot of shows that might not have flown elsewhere.  But remember, it's pretty "clean" based on when it was written.  

It is vocally challenging but doable. We had a small space so we focused on the vocals more than movement.  My brain is not coming up with the real title, but "I'm Not Getting Married Today" was the most difficult. 

The version with Raul Esparza is on DVD - and other than the cast playing musical instruments - is a good example.  

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 4.  RE: The musical Company

Posted 12-06-2017 07:34
    The entire show focuses on mature adult themes of fulfillment later in life, drinking, mortality, infidelity, relationships, etc. I would consider it inappropriate just because young actors are really going to struggle to understand the experiences that their characters would need to go through. The music is very challenging, but the good news is there's no dance! :)

Benjamin Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area School Director
    Altoona PA