Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Calvin Berger

Posted 05-15-2018 10:58
    Has anyone directed Calvin Berger before? I'll be doing it next year with my musical theatre 1 and 2 students (about 25 students total). We've been give permission to add an ensemble to the show. If you've directed it, what advice do you have? It has a TON of location, which I'm hoping to show using a number of periaktoi's and pools of light downstage. Any advice on costuming, props, choreography, etc? I'm literally on my own for this, besides our band director who's doing the orchestra.

I'm a little stressed.

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Calvin Berger

Posted 05-17-2018 17:16
    I directed Calvin 3 years ago with an ensemble. I also double cast the lead roles in order to give more students an opportunity, & the show ran 2 weekends.  I e mailed the playwright with questions, & he was GREAT! I would suggest finding a choreographer to help you. There are so many opportunities for fun choreography! We had a unit set with an upper level for the 4 bedrooms. Used area lighting a lot. Had the ensemble bring out the library tables in choreographed moves & then be a part of that scene & song. Costuming was easy - the kids found their own for the most part. The ensemble developed characters like all the interesting students in any high school, including cheerleader, mascot, band nerd, etc. Working with the small cast of leads was a joy. Ensemble rehearsed 1-2x weekly until tech/dress rehearsals at the end. Questions?

Jacquelyn Thompson-Mercer
    Bakersfield CA