Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  YA Literature and Theatre Research Project

Posted 10-22-2018 12:24
    I'm a college senior and I'm working on a research project for my young adult literature class on how theatre teachers can use YA literture in their classes. My goal is to create several lesson plans that use YA literature for theatre. I thought maybe you all could help me by telling about how you use YA literature in your classes. It doesn't have to be only novels, plays and other written works are great too!

Here are some questions, but feel free to share anything that you think might help me!

How do you use young adult literature in your theatre classes?

What are your favorite young adult plays/musicals?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Emma Leary
    Ball State University '19
    Theatre Education & English Studies

• 2.  RE: YA Literature and Theatre Research Project

Posted 10-23-2018 12:17
    Tableaux - when teaching how to create a tableaux, use themes, plotlines, characters from their current reading list as a stimulus. Tableaux can also be used to check understanding of relationships, plot, etc...

In any creative writing scenario (teaching about play structure, writing short plays, creating puppet plays, etc...) YA lit is a great starting point. "Adapt this story for...x genre."

In choosing a season, I like to know what the teachers will be using in the classroom. If there isn't a playscript available for those titles, I will try to find something that ties in with classroom themes.

When reading plays in class, I go first to titles related to, or adapted from, what they are reading in class. Both Language Arts and Theatre standards ask students to compare two versions of the same story, so collaborating with your English teachers is key.

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL