Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-05-2018 08:15
    hi, 
    i'm searching again for another straight show and one act.  I Never Saw Another Butterfly was a piece that I loced So much.  I want to find another play that speaks to me and is as beautifully written.  I'm considering both full length and one acts but have read but haven't found that piece yet.  

It will be a piece that goes to competition (so one act is easier but not opposed to seeing rules for cutting/ or bringing an act)  but also is presented at my school.  I do need something with several actors, more females, an ensemble is great.  They are young but can sink their teeth into something. 

So does anyone have a suggestion for a piece (comedy or drama) that moved them and Had a great story?  I'm finding it hard to follow Butterfly. 
    Thanks! 

------------------------------
    Colleen McEvoy
    Theatre Director
    Tampa FL

• 2.  RE: Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-05-2018 18:58
    If you haven't read Radium Girls, I recommend it.  It's a lovely piece of theatre.  I've also seen Children's Hour cut for competition.  If you want something a little more free in style you could do Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl.  I loved working it when I directed it.  Radium Girls has both full length and one act cuttings.  Eurydice is already pretty short but may need some trimming depending on your time limit.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-06-2018 10:59
    I did a festival cut of The Laramie Project, last year. My students were absolutely moved and still talk about it. The author's (Moises Kauffman and the Tectonic Theatre Project) also offer many resources/ talk backs.

• 4.  RE: Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-06-2018 14:49
    And Then They Came for Me by James Still.

Actors + video + sound FX tell the story of teenagers during the Holocaust.  In particular, Anne Franks first boyfriend ("Hello" in the diaries) and Anne Frank's girlfriend who was betrayed as was Anne and whose mother married Otto Frank after the war.  Both these people were survivors.  Helmuth (Hello) Silverberg lived in NJ and died several years ago. Eva Schloss is still alive and living in England, though she was just in New York City for Holocaust Remembrance Day last month.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 5.  RE: Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-07-2018 08:59
    Women of Lockerbie. Beautiful, poetic language that doesn't come across as stilted or forced. A very sad and very moving story about dealing with grief.  Written for 5w and 2m, but the chorus can be expanded to as many women as you'd like. You'll need some mature actors, but I'm certain the cast will fall in love with the play.  Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    Dramatists remove preview
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    FEE: $100 per performance. SPECIAL NOTE: Playwright Deborah Brevoort has created two shortened versions of THE WOMEN OF LOCKERBIE especially for high school competitions. One script is a 40 minute version of Brevoort's play, and the other runs 50 minutes. These competition versions of the play are available only in manuscript.
    View this on Dramatists >

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 6.  RE: Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-07-2018 10:36
    Hello.

Look at Dark of the Moon by Howard Richardson & William Berney. "Dark of the Moon is a powerful fantasy in a setting of the Smoky Mountains. It achieves that rare combination of being spectacular and at the same time intimate and intense. Its 'hillbilly' dialect has the strangely moving poetic quality of a folk-ballad" - Players Magazine. I loved doing this as a one act. I had to do some severe cutting, but the result was a powerful piece of theater. 

All the best,

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 7.  RE: Looking for another beautiful one-act / straight show

Posted 05-07-2018 12:26
    Dark Road was a really good competition piece for us this year. For a full length I also really like Pride and Prejudice by Jon Jory. Playscripts has both pieces.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ