Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre of the Absurd

Posted 08-10-2019 19:19
    Hi there,

I am new to IB Theatre Arts. I have a student who is very interested in Theatre of the Absurd and Ionesco's work. Can he use Theatre of the Absurd as his theatre convention? Or one of the playwrights as a theorists. If not is there a theorist from this movement that he could study for this part of the work?

I guess I'm asking if I should encourage him to focus on something else?

Thanks

Katrina

------------------------------
    Katrina Tashlikowich
    OKOTOKS AB

• 2.  RE: Theatre of the Absurd

Posted 08-11-2019 08:51
    As an IB theatre teacher, there are two resources you need to be aware of. One is the forum in the IB website. Question like this usually get a response from an expert or another teacher in about a day. 
    We also have a Facebook group for IB theatre teachers. Actually there are several but only one in which the IB theatre coordinators and trainers participate. 
    Im in my phone now instead of my computer so I don't have link readily available. 

To answer the question, traditions must be selected from the list provided in the guide. Absurdism is not included. However I have taken first years through a unit on aburdism to prep them for the RP. They really enjoyed it. 
    A theorist mist have published theory work. Pinter can work, but not Ionesco. Other playwrights who are not necessarily absurdist but tour student my like are Brecht and Mamet. They both have published works on their theories of how theatre should be done.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 3.  RE: Theatre of the Absurd

Posted 08-11-2019 12:54
    Theatre of the Absurd is not listed on the IB Theatre Arts Course Guide's prescribe list of world theatre tradition that have specific performance conventions (face, body, movement, gesture, voice). However, Ed Monk's play AP Theatre is a wonderful, little gem (one act) that includes Theatre of the Absurd, Ancient Greek Theatre, and Bunruku. It is a really fun play and does a great job of looking at the three traditions. 
    Link: https://www.playscripts.com/play/2293

William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director
    Waterloo Community Schools
    Waterloo IA