Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice on working with Audrey II plants

Posted 11-01-2017 13:55
    I am preparing to do Little Shop of Horrors in April 2018 and was wondering how early I should start working with the various forms of the plants? We come back from our holiday break in early January so when should I get the plants to my theatre to start rehearsing with them?

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 2.  RE: Advice on working with Audrey II plants

Posted 11-02-2017 11:49
    Hi, Stephen--how wonderful of you to ask this question at this point in your process!  That already assures that Audrey II will be integrated well your production and be "respected" in the same way as the other characters.  THANK YOU on behalf of "puppet people" everywhere!

My thoughts:

1) It's most important to have the puppeteer(s) and VOP (voice of plant) together from the very first rehearsal, even if the puppets aren't yet present.  This allows them to establish a relationship and synchronicity that's crucial to the success of the show--and allows the puppeteer(s) to be accepted as equal, important cast members, too.  I know that may seem obvious (if so , YAY!) but you might be surprised at how many productions simply add the puppeteers when the plants arrive.

2) the puppeteers(s) should be incorporated into the blocking rehearsals--again, even if the plants aren't in rehearsal yet.  I'd not add the final puppets into the blocking rehearsals too early, actually--though stand-ins would be a good idea (e.g. one of those "grabber" trigger toys for GROW FOR ME plant if you'll have a rod and trigger puppet for that one, puppet eyeballs or "Peepers" for the Seymour arm plant if you'll be using the traditional style for that one)--and at least a chair or large circle to stand in for the bigger two.

3) make sure to not integrate the puppets into the rehearsals/runs without first having puppetry training and private rehearsals for the puppets/puppeteers (with just your puppet coach, you, and the puppeteers--not even VOP in those couple rehearsals).  If you introduce them before the puppeteers are confident, then the rest of the cast won't be able to react to them as characters, but simply as objects--and relationship is important to establish form day one.

4) make sure to empower your puppeteer or one of your puppeteers as Puppet Captain AS SOON AS the plants arrive and come into use.  An announcement to the cast/crew, introducing the puppet captain as the only person who can handle, move, "play with" the puppets is key!  It takes great care of your puppets and of your puppeteers.

So, in a nutshell, here's what's been successful in the many productions of this amazing show on which I have had the pleasure to work:
    -puppeteer(s) in read and sing-thrus w/ VOP from the beginning
    -blocking w/ stand in puppets and all puppeteers 
    -Puppet Captain assigning and announcing when show puppets arrive
    -several private puppetry sessions for skill-building during blocking
    -integrate puppets into scenework one at a time so they can all be looked at as 4 stages of the character (work scenes with GROW FOR ME puppets, then work scenes with Seymour arm puppets, then work scenes with pot puppet, then scenes with final puppet, e.g.)

My thoughts--hope they are helpful!

Best,
    Aretta 
    puppeteer / director / puppet coach

Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta GA
    www.puppet.org

• 3.  RE: Advice on working with Audrey II plants

Posted 11-02-2017 12:40
    I have directed Little Shop twice, and would like to second everything Aretta said.  Our puppeteers were involved from table work and vocal rehearsals, and every rehearsal in between.  I used 2 different puppeteers for #3 and #4 Audrey II puppets, and they understudied each other.  Those are very physically taxing assignments, and I wanted to have understudies.  Also, I chose the puppeteers at the beginning of the school year for an early March production, and they worked with our PE trainer to build stamina ​​for the roles.  The operators packed on 10 lbs of muscle, and would lose 3-5 lbs a night.​  It really helped that they came to the first rehearsal in great physical shape.

One other fun thing we did was to make the theatre lobby into Skid Row, with cast members panhandling and doing other activities, like dueling doo-wop groups doing a sing-off pre-show.  I heard parents walking in saying "Where's security?", and "This school is going to ^#*@!", until they figured out the gag.  

Break legs!

Bob Fowler
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC

Bob Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MORobertRobertRobert