Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Concise, fun physical and vocal warm up for class periods

Posted 06-27-2016 08:10

I'm looking for a concise (less than 5 minutes) physical and vocal warm up to do with my middle school theatre classes every day at the beginning of class. I had one I was doing, BUT it ends with everyone having high energy and vocals (I do the 8s normally, shaking out hands and feet one at a time for 8 counts, then 7....till 1, with vocals getting gradually louder each time so that at the end, it is a big explosion of "one, one, one, one!").  This is great for a performance warm up, but I kind of want something that warms up but then gets them focused and ready to start the class.  I was envisioning one where maybe by the end they "end up" in a seated circle on the floor, naturally, without me having to tell them to.  I don't want a game, I just want a good physical and vocal warm up that I can teach them and then ultimately students could take turn leading while I take attendance, etc.  Suggestions??

------------------------------
    Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 2.  RE: Concise, fun physical and vocal warm up for class periods

Posted 06-27-2016 13:54

I use the book Make Your Voice Heard by Chuck Jones. It has a great physical warmup for students.  ISBN. 978-0823083336

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Concise, fun physical and vocal warm up for class periods

Posted 06-28-2016 07:40

Hi!

About 60 pages of my book on teaching improv deals with crafting the perfect class warm-up. Under 5 minutes, VIP - Vocal, Interpersonal, Physical, etc - it also provides a huge section of activities, organized by acting skills that each activity tackles. 

A couple pages of the warm-up section should be available to preview for free on Amazon. 

Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv

Amazon remove preview
    Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv

View this on Amazon >
    Trace Crawford
    Drama Director, Hilliard Davidson High School
    www.hilliarddavidsontheatre.com
    www.tracecrawford.com