Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-16-2017 14:46
    Hey there! Next year I am increasing my number of production to 3. I have two titles which are mad scientist related. I need one non-musical title and I am drawing a blank. I need a play that is NOT Frankenstein but still has a mad scientist theme. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rebecca Fahning
    Desert Pines High School
    Las Vegas, Nevada

------------------------------
    Rebecca Fahning
    Theatre Teacher
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-16-2017 16:52
    Look into "The Mouse that Roared"  there is a mad scientist role along with other witty characters.  It's a large cast comedy.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 3.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-23-2017 08:42
    I echo The Mouse That ROAREDhttps://www.dramaticpublishing.com/the-mouse-that-roared
    Might be interesting look at the world today ...?

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-17-2017 05:23
    There is a great radio show version of Invisible Man by John de Lancie and recently Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes was released, by Dramatic Publishing, I think.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-18-2017 11:12
    Jack and the Frankenbeanstalk by Jane Jeffried and Jim Jeffries features a mad scientist. It runs just over an hour - not sure if that's long enough to suit your purposes. Pioneer Drama Service has it. Our students enjoyed performing it, and the audience really seemed to like it.

Sergio Iriarte
    Thespian Troupe 2813 Director
    Hudson High School
    Hudson, Oh

• 6.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-17-2017 07:45
    We just finished "The Monster Mashed" with LazyBee Scripts. I was in a similar situation, wanting a show with a "scientist theme" and did this show for an elementary mystery party.  The show is designed for a dinner show, but might can be adjusted for the regular stage. (We had monster slime sundaes with 200 kids instead of dinner). It does have two songs, lyrics written to "Monster Mash" and "Witchcraft" but I think those can be taken out without permission. I didn't love it, mainly because the cast I had did not sell it too well. Also, the jokes were British humor, so we had to adjust some for them to work with our younger, south Georgia audience.

But...on another note, a dinner show would be a great 3rd production, if you are open to it! We also did this show for the community and our culinary arts students served dinner! This was our second annual spring dinner show.

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Lake Park GA

• 7.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-18-2017 20:13
    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Anne-Liese Fox
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Robert LA

• 8.  RE: Mad Scientist Plays-Suggestions Please

Posted 05-22-2017 10:22
    Have you read the stage adaptation of GET SMART? It combines the first two episodes from the classic Don Adams TV show: one about a kidnapped princess, and one about a mad scientist who has created a machine that vaporizes items. Lots of fun. Very nostalgic. Fairly large cast for a straight play. I'd give it two thumbs up, especially if you have two strong male leads for Maxwell Smart and the Chief.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN