Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Zorro the Musical

Posted 03-28-2016 12:16

Does anyone know anything about this production? It opened in London in 2008, then toured a bit, with I think its' last production showing somewhere in Germany. Does anyone know who one can apply to for the rights? We have a largely Hispanic population and this show, with music by the Gipsy Kings, looks and sounds fabulous...Definitely not high art, but incredibly fun.

Any ideas from the group brain?  

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 2.  RE: Zorro the Musical

Posted 03-28-2016 12:24

No... but I really want to. If it's not posted pass it on to me. I want to read it

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Zorro the Musical

Posted 03-28-2016 17:58

I didn't even know this existed (which is upsetting to me as a huge Zorro fan and colossal musical theatre fan)!  After a bit of research, it seems like the libretto isn't currently available, nor is a recording of the music.  I'm also not sure how long it may be until performance rights are available for the show. There is some good news, though, in that Zorro was recently licensed to a small, prestigious private school in Southern California.  Check this link out for more details.  It looks like they're tactically opening up licenses to schools.

On their website, they ask that you email them with any licensing queries.  It might not pan out, but it's worth checking in on!  Here's the link to the webpage for Zorro: The Musical.  I wish you guys the best of luck, and if you hear back from them, let me know; I'd love to hear more about this show!

Matthew Williams

• 4.  RE: Zorro the Musical

Posted 03-29-2016 08:02

Hale Centre Theatre - Utah's Premiere Family Theatre

Hale Centre Theatre remove preview
    Hale Centre Theatre is Utah's Premiere Family Theatre. Located in West Valley City, Utah, HCT is a community theater in the round showing musicals and plays throughout the year.
    View this on Hale Centre Theatre >

the last production I saw of that show was at Hale Centre Theatre in West Valley City Utah.  Hale Centre Theatre - Utah's Premiere Family Theatre

Hale Centre Theatre remove preview
    Hale Centre Theatre is Utah's Premiere Family Theatre. Located in West Valley City, Utah, HCT is a community theater in the round showing musicals and plays throughout the year.
    View this on Hale Centre Theatre >

You could probably email them and they could tell you who they booked the show through.   I think it was from a company in England, but I'm not sure.

Glen Carpenter
    Tooele UT

• 5.  RE: Zorro the Musical

Posted 03-29-2016 23:43

Hello,

This title is licensed by Weinberger in London.

Zorro page on Weinberger website

Weinberger has reciprocal (if that's the right word) agreements with both MTI and R&H to rep their titles in the UK and vice versa for the titles that are developed in the UK and need North American reps.

However, Zorro seems un-repped in the US. Your guess is as good as mine. 

Assume they would send perusals to the US...?

There is a London cast recording (2008), but from what I've read the show has gone through many transformations, so who knows how accurate it is with the current libretto/score.

It's on Amazon here ($13.62 for disc; $9.49 to download):

2008 OLR on Amazon

And it's on iTunes, too ($11.99)

Good luck.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Zorro the Musical

Posted 03-30-2016 12:34

GREAT SHOW!!!  I took my troupe to see it at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta at the beginning of its tour three years ago. My kids loved it so much, many of them made the two-hour drive from our school to Atlanta to see it again with their families!  Fun Fact: We saw Adam Jacobs as Zorro who went on to star as Aladdin in the Broadway show.  He was wonderful as Zorro (all the girls fell in love with him).

There's lots this show has to offer: sword-fighting and combat, flying stunts and great music. Lots of opportunities for a mixed-race cast and Spanish speakers.  Even my English-only kids were intrigued to do a show where they would be speaking Spanish.

The Gipsy Kings come out after curtain-call to lead the cast and audience in a mini-flamenco concert.

Not a great script, and some of the songs (even the up-tempo ones) went on a bit too long. True to form, Zorro and the bad guy have the best songs and dialogue.  There's lots of comedy mixed with the drama (similar to the Bandares films) and even a drunken guard that is fun to watch.

Spoiler Alert: one of the more charming characters is killed and her death may be a bit much for younger audience members (think: Bambi's mother).  However, for a family crowd and a troupe willing to take on the challenge, it may be a fun show.

Not sure what the deal is with getting the rights yet, but while you wait, you can start getting your kids tuned up on their fencing skills.

- Break a leg!!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN