Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Prop Design Lesson Plan for Middle School

Posted 12-06-2020 15:36
    Hello!  

I am looking to do a prop design unit with 7th graders. I was wondering if anyone could share their success stories with me and how they went about presenting this type of lesson with their students, activities, etc...  
    Off the top of my head, ideally, I would like the students to make their own prop.  I am not able to assign homework so it would have to be done in class.  This presents a bit of challenge since we cannot share scissors, crayons, etc... due to COVID.  The students would have to bring in their own supplies.  
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

Bridget E DeVivo
    Director of Drama Program
    Oak Hill Academy
    Lincroft, NJ
    Pre-K to 8th

• 2.  RE: Prop Design Lesson Plan for Middle School

Posted 12-07-2020 10:02
    Hi Bridget,

I don't know what kind of budget you have, but you could have some supplies in the classroom (hot glue gun, glue sticks, markers, cardboard, duct tape, etc) and have a "One and done " policy where they put the used item in a "to be cleaned" area or box you label, then clean items later, yourself with gloved hands and disinfectant. These items could be in addition to what they bring from home. 

May I suggest you concurrently teach some improv games where students do endowment work with ordinary objects where you "endow" the objects with meaning (the coveted vs. the despised). Good luck! Sound like fun!

Karen Nielsen-Anson
    SLC, UT. Drama Teacher

• 3.  RE: Prop Design Lesson Plan for Middle School

Posted 12-08-2020 12:42
    Since you're specifically referring to "prop design," I'll offer a couple of ideas.

Last year, I thought I was a retired theatrical designer. Then, out of the blue, a local film school offered me a job, so now I'm teaching online -- mostly set design, sketching, and research. However, back when we were teaching in person at the school, I noticed a couple of prop or set design classes were basically, "here's some stuff -- make up something." That's fine if you're doing "found art" or "crafts" projects, but it's not suitable for designing props or sets for theatre or film. That's not how props and sets are created.

You want to start with the story: what's the prop, why it's there, who's using it, and why it's necessary (or not) for telling the story. Then you go into the historical period (online research), decide whether the prop is practical or not, and so forth. Once you understand what it is, you design it either in your head or -- better yet -- on paper.

After the prop is designed, you can go find stuff to work with. It's amazing how often you can start with something that already exists (even if you buy it) and then add to it, massage it, paint it, or whatever, and come up with exactly what the story needs. That's what propmasters in film and theatre do.

Hope that helps.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    ------------------------------