Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-29-2016 08:50

I just want to put a plug in for Drama Teacher Academy. I subscribe to the courses it offers and find them enormously helpful. They have introduced me to Laban Movement work that is a very accessible way to introduce structured movement to high school students and the course on improv is great! It breaks down improv into easily taught sections. 

There are videos of the exercises and downloads of the classes for future reference. 

Highly recommended!!

Drama PD on Demand :: Drama Teacher Academy

Theatrefolk remove preview

Drama PD on Demand :: Drama Teacher Academy
    The Drama Teacher Academy offers Professional Development on Demand for busy drama teachers. Learn on your own time at your own pace.
    View this on Theatrefolk >
    ------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-29-2016 12:49

I second John! The courses are readily implementable, useful, and cover a broad range of topics, and make my job much, much easier, as well as providing something more rigorous than I could come up with on my own.

Well worth your time and investment of energies. As a member, you also get access to a monthly (or more often) live PLC, which, as drama teachers, its often hard to be a part of when you're a department of one. :) 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-30-2016 11:56

Do you earn college credit for completing these courses?

Thank You,

Kayla Wilson

Kayla Wilson
    Hillsboro OH

• 4.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-30-2016 13:08

Thanks for the info.  I just joined!

Thom Babbes
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Village Christian School
    Sun Valley CA

• 5.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-30-2016 19:33

I was looking at it today, due to these recommendations... That is a BOATLOAD of money if you are paying for it yourself. But I trust the people on this board - so, I'll ask (and listen to the answer)- how is this worth $500 /yr of my money? My school will not reimburse for this, and like all of you - I make a teacher's salary. So if I am not getting more than $500 worth from it...

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 6.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-31-2016 07:24

For me it's tax-deductible. And you can download the information and view at another time.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-31-2016 07:41

I have been a member these past two years only because I was able to convince my school district that it was Professional Development.  The courses are the best part, but the lesson plans, and resources are great too.

Keith Rollins
    Drama Teacher
    Dalton Public Schools - Dalton Middle School
    Dalton GA
    Twitter - DMSDrama
    Instragram - DMSTheatre

• 8.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-31-2016 09:28

I agree, it is a ton of money, but the materials are top notch. I did join and then I got out because I am retiring. I am  not sure I would pay $500 every year, but one year worth was helpful.

THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY AT 309.827.6031, DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.

Bloomington Public Schools School District87
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 9.  RE: Drama Teacher Academy

Posted 03-31-2016 22:07

I can say that I've been a member of DTA since September (out of my own pocket) and I feel I have gotten much more than just resources from Theatrefolk. The support, communication, as well as the PLC sessions alone to me are worth my monthly payment. In a two person dept in south Louisiana where sports is king, DTA has been my go-to place for last minute ideas, inspirations, and just about everything else. I could not have made it through this year without DTA! 

Heidi Frederic
    Theatre Teacher
    Ascension Parish School District
    Gonzales LA