Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-04-2019 16:49
    Hello! 
    A few students not normally affiliated with my theatre program have started a Social Justice club on campus and have asked me to help facilitate the staging of some skits to be performed during an assembly. Anti-bullying, warning signs, etc. Demonstrating teachable moments. This isn't the sort of material I'd go to the normal play websites first, so I was wondering if anyone had come across any material that was appropriate, or ideas for outside-the-box sources to look at. The option is of course open for us to write our own, but because of the age and inexperience of the students I Was hoping to at least show them a model of what these pieces tend to look like. Thank you very much for your help!

------------------------------
    Chris Wollman
    Burbank CA

• 2.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-05-2019 10:55
    The Bully Plays - Dramatic Publishing Company - has several short pieces that may work for you!

Peace,
    Jacquie Thompson-Mercer
    CA Retired Theatre Educator

• 3.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-05-2019 12:12

As sad as it is to say,  there are numerous plays, skits, scenes about bullying.  Start looking at the major publishers: Playscripts, Dramatist, Dramatic, Pioneer, Eldridge.  You'll find some that are amazing and some not so good, but that's the truth of all plays.  We have done some in the past and they are very effective.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 4.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-06-2019 03:11
    Jonathan Dorf at Youth Plays has some really good scripts dealing with bullying and several other social issues.

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre

Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!

Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 5.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-06-2019 10:47
    I have directed Pioneer Drama's Cybermare twice with 2  casts in two countries and it has been a hit in each time.  I like that fact that it focuses on Cyberbullying as well as other bullying and includes both information for students in the text of the play tht offers suggestions for proactive prevention.  It is admittedly for more of a MIddle school to 9th grade audience and probably at this juncture can use a dated reference update or two.  I also liked that it had a flexible cast.

Donna Youngblood
    Garner NC

• 6.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-07-2019 07:35
    We are currently in rehearsal for Henry's Law. It is a play, but the runtime is only 40 minutes. We are also going to do The Other Room closer to the spirng for Autism Awareness month. I think you'd be pleased with both of them. My kids are excited to do both.

Mark Dobbs
    teacher
    Fairview High School
    Cullman AL

• 7.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-07-2019 11:09

Have them write their own about issues they see in their own communities.
    We devised a piece similar to this a few years ago examining the lives of some of our students (performed by actors who were NOT the students) and it was extremely impactful for the whole school community.

If you need some resources let me know!

Tami LoSasso
    Educator, Lakewood High School
    Chapter Director, Colorado State Thespians
    303-982-2070
    2019-2020 Season
    The 39 Steps - November 7-9, 2019
    The Great Greek Olympiaganza/Actor's Nightmare - December 6-7, 2019
    Actor's Showcase - February 7, 2020
    West Side Story - March 11-14, 2020
    James and the Giant Peach (unified) - April 16, 2020
    An Evening of One Acts - April 24, 2020

Tami LoSasso
    Chapter Director
    Colorado State Thespians
    Denver, CO

• 8.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-07-2019 15:20
    I highly recommend the one act "THE BULLY SHOW." The play is audience interactive and the setting is a game show. Spoiler alert: the Game Show Host is the real bully! My high school students performed this at a middle school assembly and it was a hit with the kids.

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 9.  RE: Anti-Bullying/School Violence Skits

Posted 10-21-2019 13:30
    Hi Chris,

Maybe this is a play / resource that you could add to your list.... It´s a part of a library of plays for kids called "Henry The Monster".

Cheers,
    Heather

Heather Carrington
    Pinawa MB