Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Light Rental Question

Posted 10-25-2021 08:37
    Hello! I'm a very new and inexperienced high school theatre teacher, working at a school that doesn't have a stage. We're working on a production that will be performed in an underground parking garage, and I need to rent some lights. I'm looking for some general soft lighting, the ability to fade to black, and maybe some color choices. What should I be looking for? I assume a set of PAR lamps, but if anyone has suggestions more specific than that, I would be grateful. 
    --
    Amanda Cadogan (she | her)
    Humanities  |  Maybeck High School

• 2.  RE: Light Rental Question

Posted 10-25-2021 11:44

A good start might be to look into some LED PARs that also have nice white light color to them. Likely your available power will be limited in this type of space. Not only is this a good way to conserve power, but many are also outdoor rated. Your best bet will be to contact a lighting rental company and do a site visit with them. They can help put together a package that is safe and addresses the artistic needs you are looking for.... within your budget of course. Things like power sources, how the lights will be supported or rigged, cabling, and how they will be stored between shows (or not), and a control board that students can use are all items they can help you with.

~Dave

------------------------------
    David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    MI

• 3.  RE: Light Rental Question

Posted 10-26-2021 07:16
    I agree, LED fixtures are going to work the best for you, you will need yo verify the location of power and understand how many circuits of power are available. you at minimum wouls want 2 lighting trees for front light and if possible 2 additional for side light, of course this will be based on the size of your stage area. You would need power cables to get to the power from the locations and some kind of dressing for safely the power cables. I would recommend wireless DMX to reduce the cable running. a console to operate your lights

There is a start

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE