Open Forum

View Only

9/11 20 year anniversary

• 1.  9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-17-2021 09:50
    Hello everyone. I teach at a Catholic High school. The religion department and the theatre department would like to plan an all-school event to honor the victims/families of that horrific event 20 years ago. Last spring, I received an email with information about a specific 9/11 play that contained monologues, duet scenes. poetry and other writings. I thought I flagged the email, but I am not able to find it now. Does anyone know about this play or even something similar that we can take a look at? 
    Thanks for your help. 

Teresa

Teresa De Zarn 

Theatre Director

Archbishop McNicholas High School

513.231.3500 ext. 5137

513.231.1351--fax
    http://www.mcnhs.org

• 2.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-17-2021 20:39
    Is this it? https://www.playscripts.com/play/2487

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-18-2021 05:13
    With Their Eyes by Stuyvesant High School students and Annie Thoms is a very powerful piece - student reactions from kids who watched the Twin Towers through the windows of their school. 

Kathleen Conner

• 4.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-19-2021 09:43

Earlier this year we produced 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft from Playscripts.  It was amazing.   The show contains stories from victims and volunteers at ground zero.  From the moment I started reading it I could not put it down. I knew immediately it was something we needed to do.  Needless to say I have a new appreciation for all of the people who were directly impacted.   And I believe Sarah actually volunteered there herself.  

We had to do a virtual production and recorded remotely with Zoom.  None of us were ever in the same room. I would have preferred to perform on stage but at the time we were not allowed to do that.  No matter how you choose to perform it, it will be a very powerful show, both for the audience and performers.  

This is an amazing show and has personally made me more empathic.  It opened the eyes of the students and made the event more real for them.  I would like to encourage everyone to bring these stories to their community. This is what theatre should be. 

Huge thanks to Sarah!  We are grateful for all she has done!

Break a leg and shed a tear with this show.  It is great.  

Paula Smith
    Director
    Lemont High School
    Orland Park IL

• 5.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-19-2021 10:05
    Hi Folks, 

Thank you to all who responded to my request concerning the 9/11 material. I love that there is so many good plays out there on the subject.
    I wish you all the best for the new school year. Let's all get in there and make theatre happen. 

Teresa De Zarn

Teresa De Zarn
    Troupe Director
    McNicholas High School

• 6.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-19-2021 11:34
      |   view attached

08/19/21

Thank you, Paula, for recommending 110 STORIES... 

Hi Teresa, 

Thank you for honoring the upcoming 20th Anniversary of 9/11 with your students. I'd love for them to learn about 9/11 though 110 STORIES whose take-away is the importance of compassion and service as our response to suffering. I'm the playwright and, as Paula mentioned, was a volunteer at Ground Zero. A gripping docu-play, 110 STORIES takes you on a moment-by-moment journey through September 11th as told by eyewitnesses, survivors and recovery workers. Educators tell me the play allows students to humanize an event they only know about through history books. 

The play can be cast with as many as 26 actors or as few as 8 of any gender and ethnicity - all speaking roles. It's the story of a city, and of our country, so it should reflect the diversity of your school and community. It requires minimal set pieces and inspires maximum creativity in its staging. 

"Clean" (no expletives) and "Religious" versions are available through Playscripts who also offer Streaming rights. 

I'm available to Zoom with the cast and audiences. 

I've attached a One Sheet which includes stills from high school productions alongside some of the renowned stars of stage and screen who've performed the play. You can also find them here sarahtuft.com/110-stories-play 

As the 20th Anniversary of 9/11 approaches, and with our nation once again recovering from tragic loss, 110 STORIES is a powerful way to pay tribute to the lives lost then and now… I'm delighted over 25 theaters and high schools are doing so this fall…

All best, 

Sarah

Sarah Tuft

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-23-2021 18:01
    Who holds the rights for "With Their Eyes"?  I have found it on Amazon but are rights available?

Stephanie Schultze
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Russellville High School

• 8.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-23-2021 18:07
    I was not able to find the licensing either. I found the book on iBooks but not a play.   That is one of the reasons that I continued to search  for a play and that's when I discovered 110 Stories on Playscripts. It was amazing.   Wish I could help more.  --
    Paula Ann Smith
    Lemont High School
    Fall and Winter Play Director
    Spring Musical Acting Director

Confidentiality Notice:

This email communication and any attachments may contain proprietary and privileged information for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 9.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-24-2021 07:36

When we performed "With Their Eyes" in 2004, I received permission from Annie Thoms; I wrote to her directly. 

Kate Bernardo

Beaumont English Department

Beaumont Drama Director

kbernardo@beaumontschool.org

• 10.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-24-2021 07:42
    Did you do it verbatim from the book or is there a script version?(with stage directions, lighting suggestions, etc)--
    Paula Ann Smith
    Lemont High School
    Fall and Winter Play Director
    Spring Musical Acting Director

Confidentiality Notice:

This email communication and any attachments may contain proprietary and privileged information for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 11.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-24-2021 10:02

We did most of the monologues/scenes from the book, but may have cut a few.  We developed stage directions on our own.  If I can find some production photos, I'll send them, if you are interested.

Kate Bernardo

Beaumont English Department

Beaumont Drama Director

kbernardo@beaumontschool.org

• 12.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-18-2021 07:50
    You might also want to look at With Their Eyes by  Annie Thoms.  My Catholic school performed this in 2003 (as we were invading Iraq :-(. Powerful script.

Kate Bernardo
    Drama Director
    Beaumont School

• 13.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-18-2021 08:09
    I believe the play you are referring to is the one offered by Playscripts called War at Home: Students Respond to September 11th.  It's a drama in one act by Nicole Quinn and Nina Shengold.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School

• 14.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-18-2021 17:37
    Hi Teresa,

For the 10th Anniversary I put on the play War At Home by Nicole Quinn & Nina Shengold. It's a super powerful play. My students and the audience loved it. We still have people talking about it ten years later.  Here's the link: https://www.playscripts.com/sample/237 

The authors wrote this play by holding a community get together in upper New York, I believe, within weeks after the attacks. They asked students, teachers and community members to answer questions and put their thoughts/feelings to paper, all anonymously. They then constructed a script based on the writings of everyone who participated. The script is made up of scenes and monologues and the character's are unnamed to represent that these people could be anyone of us. The casting is a bit flexible too. I highly recommend it.

--
    Blessings

Jillian Lietzau 

Registrar/FACTS Admin/Attendance/Theatre Dept. Head
    jillian.lietzau@lhsparker.org

Lutheran High School 
    (303) 841-5551 ext. 200 
    11249 Newlin Gulch Blvd Parker, CO 80134 
    www.lhsparker.org

• 15.  RE: 9/11 20 year anniversary

Posted 08-19-2021 09:51

Earlier this year we produced 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft from Playscripts.  It was amazing.   The show contains stories from victims and volunteers at ground zero.  From the moment I started reading it I could not put it down. I knew immediately it was something we needed to do.  Needless to say I have a new appreciation for all of the people who were directly impacted.   And I believe Sarah actually volunteered there herself.  

We had to do a virtual production and recorded remotely with Zoom.  None of us were ever in the same room. I would have preferred to perform on stage but at the time we were not allowed to do that.  No matter how you choose to perform it, it will be a very powerful show, both for the audience and performers.  

This is an amazing show and has personally made me more empathic.  It opened the eyes of the students and made the event more real for them.  I would like to encourage everyone to bring these stories to their community. This is what theatre should be. 

Huge thanks to Sarah!  We are grateful for all she has done!

Break a leg and shed a tear with this show.  It is great.  

Paula Smith
    Director
    Lemont High School
    Orland Park IL