Open Forum

View Only

Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

• 1.  Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-15-2017 09:59
    We've done a spring musical for the past five years. We offer it to schools all over our area for matinees to grades K-6, as well as our regular three public performances. It's our biggest crowdpleaser of the year and our best source of income for the program.

When we proposed our ideas for this spring's show, our proposal came back with a request that we pitch non-musical ideas. I'm less excited about that, because musicals tend to attract more interest both at auditions and at the box office.

That said, I need ideas for 'straight' shows that have K-6 appeal, name recognition, and large (15-30) cast. We've been looking, but I wanted to appeal to this community for suggestions in case there are 'perfect' options out there that we haven't thought of.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 07:30
    "The Phantom Tollbooth"

Janet Wood
    Drama Director
    [Columbia High School]
    [Columbia] [PA]

• 3.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-17-2017 05:56
    Dorothy in Wonderland. It combines all of the Oz characters with all of the Wonderland characters. It is really a great show.

• 4.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 08:33
    Hey, Josh.  Check out Looking Glass Land. It's by a guy you might have heard of. Jim Davita? He's pretty good. ;-) I think it hits all the points you're looking for.

Rob Kimbro
    Theatre Teacher
    Duchesne Academy
    Houston TX

• 5.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 10:30
    Rob! Great to see you here.

Thanks for the suggestion - I have read it and love it.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 6.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 09:03
    We just did Charlotte's Web this fall and had a TON of kids in the audience.  We also contemplated (but couldn't pull it off in time) having a petting zoo in the parking lot before the audience came in.  We had a cast of 26 once we added spectators, fair goers, etc.  The kids had a blast with it, too.

Nicole Deckert
    Theater Director
    Northridge Middle School/Northridge High School
    Middlebury, IN

• 7.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 11:11
    You probably have thought of it ... but Charlotte's Web is fabulous for K-6, and has an expandable cast (more animals, fairgoers, etc.).

It's a classic for a reason!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 8.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 12:13
    Afternoon of the Elves by Y York,  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the BFG

Rebecca Holmes
    Drama Teacher
    Albuquerque NM

• 9.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 12:22
    Charlotte's Web worked really well for us a few years ago. There is a non-musical version through Dramatic Publishing.

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 10.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 16:36
    There is a great non-musical Peter Pan script. A Christmas Carol is good even if in the fall. The Miracle Worker (Helen Keller and her peers are close to the age of your student guests). Pygmalion (the original non-musical My Fair Lady) is wonderful. Anne of Green Gables has a lovely non-musical script. The House At Pooh Corner, The Wind in the Willows, Androcles and the Lion - classic stories all full length family plays. We are currently in production for The House At Pooh Corner and opened for our grade 2 students today. Having a wonderful time. (photo attached)

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA

• 11.  RE: Non-Musical Hits for Youth Audiences

Posted 11-16-2017 20:46
    I chose The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe for similar reasons. I think it will appeal to your demographic and has options for an expandable cast.

--
    Deb Hunter
    ZCA Theater