Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Why Thespians

Posted 09-27-2016 08:06

I recently took over my school Thespian troupe. For years, it was under the control of a colleague who did little to support it. The troupe has waned to 8 members.  We have a very strong drama club - but many students do not see any added benefit of becoming an official thespian. Are there any ideas out there for how to make your troupe appealing by establishing the thespian troupe as an elite honor society? 

------------------------------
    Eric Hokanson
    Stafford VA

• 2.  RE: Why Thespians

Posted 09-27-2016 10:43

I'd ask your administration about allowing thespians to wear graduation honors when they walk. That was a big game changer for me. We have our ITS Honors, Inductions and Awards Night and make the last portion of the night a tribute to the graduating seniors. They are individually recognized for their contributions to ITS and are presented with their honors before posing for pictures (for posterity of course). I also allow inducted thespians first shot at the very popular extra-curriculars we offer throughout the year. It will take a few years but you'll get there.:^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Why Thespians

Posted 09-27-2016 21:06

Things that we do:

Only inducted Thespians can letter in theatre

Inducted Thespians get first priority for certain field trips

In Oregon, there is a fee decrease for our state events if you're an inducted Thespian

We have  Thespian wall and the names of all inducted Thespians are displayed there

Active Senior Thespians receive medals at the end of the year and get to leave their handprint in my room.  Honestly, those 2 are probably the biggest draws.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Why Thespians

Posted 09-28-2016 07:26

In addition to all the great things others have said- being a Thespian is on par with being in BETA Club or National Honor Society because it is an actual honor society. They have to earn induction, they don't get invited. I also have Troupe Officers who are elected each year through a fairly rigorous election process by their peers and they are then responsible for helping me manage all theatre activities which includes helping me pick shows for our upcoming school year. These governing board members get first dibs on artistic staff positions and my Thespians get first dibs after that. Getting to pick shows has become the big draw for most of my students. When they have a say in what they spend their time on they take major ownership over it.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 5.  RE: Why Thespians

Posted 09-28-2016 08:43

Hello, Eric!

Awesome to see a former student in the discussion! You were already a Thespian when I arrived at your high school, but when I became sponsor there after you graduated and here at Brown County High School in Indiana,you and I found that sometimes the way the group is conducted sends word through the school that it is an exciting and worthwhile group to join. Do you remember the Mission Impossible team event that you helped us create for inductions? The other students loved it because it was fun, creative, and they told others about it afterwards. Create fun and different ways to induct. Come on, I remember that devious mind of yours! I sometimes involve the parents in schemes to help us take the students to away events: picnics, laser tag, scavenger hunts, etc. I don't tell the students ahead of time that they have been selected--we carefully and legally "kidnap" them at times. If some students miss that induction, my troupe still finds another unique way to induct them after. The students tell everyone about it, and word spreads about your unique group.

Once your group is growing, you have to make sure it stays active, and that the students involved in the after-school program hear about it and understand that it is an honor society and the backbone of your department. Continue the year with service and theatre events, coffee houses, etc. that keep the entire group and possible new members involved. Go to sporting events as a group, wearing a common theatre-oriented t-shirt. Support each other's other activities and get out there and get seen.

Hope that helps! Miss you!

Laurie Godfrey
    Theatre director
    Brown County School Corporation
    Nashville IN