Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 06-27-2018 12:09
    Hello and welcome to Summer!

Next year I believe I will be teaching 4-6 grade theater in 3 different buildings within my district.  I believe that because I was told that but I know it all could change by September.

Knowing that I will have 10 weeks in each school with an expected performance, does anyone have resources that I could look at over the summer to shape my curriculum to get the maximum benefit for both my students and the administration's needs?

The focus here will be acting and with that self-expression.  I come from a Technical/Design background but have been in the district teaching theatre for 2 years now.  

I am in New York State and will have to use the new NY Standards.

Al Fitch

------------------------------
    Albert Fitch
    Poughquag NY

• 2.  RE: 10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 07-08-2018 21:59
    @Albert Fitch Have you selected a play or musical for your classes yet? If you have, let us know! It might help us think of specific ways to help.
    If you haven't, give an idea about what kind of show you want to do, along with length, number of cast members, etc. and we might be able to come up with suggestions to get you started!​

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: 10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 07-09-2018 18:08
    For that age group, what about a fairytale or fable as the final performance? Students can devise their own piece by updating one they know, or you could research twisted fairy tales. Groups could write, direct, rehearse them or have one new created piece. 

• 4.  RE: 10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 07-10-2018 10:06
    I taught K-5 theatre for ten years and just loved it.  You can have so much fun with the age group you have been assigned.  I would suggest (especially if you will be doing this in future years) to pick a specific theme/subject/type of performance for each grade, so that the following year you won't need to start from scratch and can then fine tune what worked from this year.  This will also allow you to build on the skills you taught from the year before.

For example in fourth grade you might consider looking a Arnold Lobel's book for children, Fables.  You can divide students up and have small groups create the dialogue and action for the short fables in the book.  Before doing this you would have taught them already about team work, listening to the ideas of others, improvising dialogue, creating a character, projection and diction, etc.  

In fifth grade, depending on the size of your group, you could try some already scripted material, or short plays that the students write based on a theme that is important to them.  Or you choose a story with the right number of characters and have the students improvise short scenes from the book.  Eventually you can weave it together into one play using the best ideas created by the students.  Your students could also make the props, sound effects and simple set pieces. 

If you are interested I would be happy to talk with you about your specific situation and pass on anything that might be helpful.  

diane

• 5.  RE: 10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 07-11-2018 15:08
    Every time I start with new grade levels, I do all the same thing with all classes, just modified for the grade. The 2nd year, I do what I did for the 1st year with the entry level grade, and do a new module for all the other grades. The 3rd year, I add the 3rd level module. Eventually, each grade has its own module but I didn’t have to create all 6 the 1st year, and the kids grew from the basics because I don’t know what they learned from the previous teacher.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    PreK-8th
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: 10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 07-09-2018 07:43
    Have you considered developing a short script based on a theme (possibly interdisciplinary) from the content area classroom?  This way you can start with teamwork and skill building leading up to a performance that is derived from what the kids are actually working on in school. Dependent on their  buy in and your comfort level, the kids could have as significant role as you would like in developing the idea based on their growing knowledge/ownership of the topic.

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: 10 Weeks of Teaching with a performance at the end

Posted 07-09-2018 09:53
    ​Hello all,

Great idea Suzanne. Have you also though of a group audition and cast the show, whatever it may be, utilizing leads from all the schools? Then you would just need to determine where you would perform. Work on the bulk of it in class and have some external rehearsals.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School