Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-21-2015 00:10

Here is something that comes up about once a year. I deal with it directly with each student who might do this by asking them to leave.

It would be nice to know if there is a thespian policy on this occurrence.

What happens is someone who is not in the play, nor do they put in the time to be on cru, and then he/she shows up backstage during the run. They want to hang out. I have to chase them away. Surprisingly, it happens with students who are thespians, too.

When I worked in pro theater we called them "posers." We ran them out and tried to keep them from the parties. At one point, we would even post a false party notices backstage in order to set them on the wrong path. 

Right now, I have a poser who could've been a best thespian, then petered out. She would believe a rule from the thespians more than she would listen to me. Of that I am sure.

So, Does anyone have a surefire way from keeping this from happening? 

I do hate that we have to put everything in the contract these days... But maybe that needs to be part of being a thespian in the future. ie. respecting the production enough to not get in the way.

John

------------------------------
    John Hauer
    Hillsborough CA

• 2.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-22-2015 06:43
    We have strict cast and crew only sign on the door. Parents (except parents helping i.e. costume mamas) & friends are not allowed backstage. Our policy is to say, "May I help you?" and then explain that cast and crew only is allowed backstage. We have a student Stage Manager who controls the backstage.

Elyse Tomlinson

• 3.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-22-2015 12:12
    I tell kids it's a safety issue. It's dark backstage, and we need to have strict guidelines so people don't get hurt. I also won't "babysit" anyone who's parent didn't sign a contract saying they know where their child is, and that releases liability if something should happen. My "drama queen" excuse is: if they're is a fire and we all run out, I need to be able to give a headcount to the FD. I can't do that accurately if there is an open door policy, and we might have left someone in a burning theater!!!! Dramatic, but it always works. ------------------------------ Nicole Pedroche Drama Teacher Covina CA ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-22-2015 16:59
    For us it is a matter of insurance and legalities. All students have to register (and pay an activities fee) when working on a production; I use this to let those 'hangers on' know that the school/district policy prevents anyone other than those who are registered to be involved with the play...and of course, they would only be registered if they were officially involved. It is sad that those who could have been involved are not...and then wish they had. This also works when alumni come back and think they still have 'backstage rights', but only if all involved (your crew, other directors, etc) reinforce it.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 5.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-23-2015 10:01

It's in my theatre handbook that they all have to read and sign off on before a production. Everyone helps police this and knows that friends are not allowed who are not part of the show. I also ask students to leave rehearsals who think they can just pop in and watch (I let them know they can buy a ticket for the show!) All of our rehearsals are closed to outsiders - as are most sports practices.

I'm with others on this - it's a legal issue and a liability issue and I'm not willing to be responsible for students who are not part of the show and have not signed on. We have health emergency forms on file for all students involved.

Also - it's a security issue - things have gone missing in the past. 

My best advice is to create an official theatre handbook (if you haven't already) and include this policy in it. Then, as you start rehearsals, remind students of this policy - that it's for the safety and security of our show and our cast. After all, you wouldn't be allowed on the sidelines of a football or basketball game just because you felt like it. 

(Finally - I have actually recruited some hanger-onners who have become good technicians OR USHERS - which keeps them front of house...but if they've already been involved and chosen not to be this time - they  have missed their chance.If I DO recruit them, they have to pay their fee and register, just like everyone else.)

Good luck!

Glenn Morehouse Olson

St. Francis, MN

Glenn Morehouse Olson
    Theater Teacher, Director
    St. Francis MN

• 6.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-23-2015 07:26
    My issue was not usually with students, it was with parents. I created a Backstage Pass system. These were formal, printed, clip-on badges similar to those used in professional theatres and concert venues. The crew (and the cast when not in costume) were required to wear their Backstage Pass at all times during production. I wore one as well. Only those persons with a backstage pass were allowed to be backstage. This allowed the newest Freshman student to ask a parent to leave by being able to point at the pass and say Mr. Smith only allows those persons with passes to be here. I told the students that they could lay all of any blame for my policy on me. They just had to help enforce it. The system worked really well and being able to display the backstage pass became a point of pride.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High Shool
    Vienna VA

• 7.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-23-2015 11:53

Thanks folks - all good ideas.

I do use cru badges and it was when this student didn't get one that it was obvious she did not belong. It was obvious to everyone but her and her powerful father, that is. The junior assistant stage managers did not feel comfortable challenging this senior. 

The theater handbook sounds like a good way to go. If you are willing to share what you have, I would appreciate that. In the handbook I would add the "registered member of the production" idea. that way one cannot assume they are apart of anything. We can simply check the list on the wall. 

We know this is a problem that comes with success - more people want to be here than we can accommodate. That is the good part. OTOH, our school is about to increase the student number on the same campus and same facilities.. So this issue is likely to get more difficult.

I think getting it in writing as a handbook is a good way to go.

My guess is that thespians does not have anything like this on the web site.

John

• 8.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-26-2015 09:19
    If anyone feels comfortable sharing their handbook, I would personally be thrilled!

Ellen Starkey
    Drama/Vocal Teacher
    Baton Rouge LA

• 9.  RE: hangers on or "groupies"

Posted 03-27-2015 17:03

Hi Ellen,

I did a little google search and came up with these. i suppose that they are on the internet means that those involved, probably won't mind if we adapt our ideas from this media.

http://www.susquehannocktheatre.com/DOCUMENTS/Susky%20Musical.pdf

Go Susquehannock High Warriors! ( I googled that too)

Here is one for middle school activities:

http://www.fcps.edu/HolmesMS/docs/pdfs/ASP_Parent_Handbook.pdf

and another for Upper School:

http://ghsdrama.yolasite.com/the-theatre-handbook.php

That is to say, I would be open to creating such a handbook in this group. I am sure you folks will come up with wonderful ideas that I would not find on my own.

Oh, and it is worth noting that:

http://www.schooltheatre.org/Go.aspx?c=Custom404&url=%2fcommunity%2fresources%2flibraryview%3fLibraryKey%3d4b3b0e4b-ab23-48c5-8284-c244cf115648

Going to this site returns "page not found." 

Anybody in?

John