Open Forum

View Only

Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

• 1.  Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-16-2019 13:31
    Greetings all! I hope that everyone's school year is wrapping up well! 

I'm at the point in the semester where the Seniors are gone and my students are DONE. For the last couple of semesters, I've used Memphis the musical as a class final. We watch it, apply all that we've learned, and then have a Socratic seminar discussing it's impact. I am always amazed at the thoughtful, authentic and deep conversations that the musical produces for my students. 

This round is no different. They are IN it. I had one student ask if he could come in after school to finish it! The educational guide is fantastic and gives students context to better understand what they are watching. 

Next year, I would like to try a few more and spread them out throughout the semester. So the question for the community is, do you have suggestions of other plays or musicals that have a good recorded version for purchase that gives students something to research and discuss in a larger context? 

Thank you! Summer, here we come!!

Megan Upton-Tyner

• 2.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 06:55
    Newsies! My kids LOVE Newsies :)

------------------------------
    Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 3.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 10:51
    Cyrano de Bergerac with Kevin Kline 
    Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews
    Anything from RSC or the Globe

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 07:13
    That is a great idea!!
    Can you attach the educational guide for Memphis?
    Thank you!

Lynn Quinn
    Passaic County Technical Institute
    Wayne, NJ

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Wayne NJ

• 5.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-18-2019 09:32
    I was also interested in the educational guide. A quick Google search for “Memphis musical educational guide” will bring it up.

• 6.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 07:31
    The anniversary performance of Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall was on Netflix for a while, and it's really well done.

Also worth noting that while not full plays, there are awesome clips and scenes on PBS's Great Performances. I use Benedict Cumberbatch's Ros monologe after we finish Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead so the kids can see just how funny the text is in the right hands.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 09:12

I put the assignment in their hands, and we call it "You Have to See This"  Every student picks a show that is not familiar to the masses.  We are fortunate enough to have access to white boards in the room, to add to the impact by showing clips or playing songs.  It is their job to present the show as something we will want to see, not a book report.  Show clips, discuss the plot, production issues and success stories.  I honestly love listening to the students that have a quest to find a show I am unfamiliar with, or the ah-ha moments for assigning students a show that they find amazing.  
    Another favorite end of the year project is "Write a Musical" they have to put together a show that includes 5 or more songs (not in their entirety) or from the same show.  This year I only let them choose 2 songs from musicals, which worked for those not well versed in musical theatre.  The script had to include the dialogue that lead up to the song, but they usually end up writing an entire script.  Some do full out choreography, some sing it rather than lip sinc, it is a lot of fun and they are up and moving.

Kendra Knoblock
    Rome0 MI

• 8.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 09:24
    How wonderful that you live in an area that you can show Memphis to your kids! It is a wonderful show but the use of the "N" word rules it out for us in the deep South. It's probably a bit racey for us as well (Bible belt and all). We do a similar exercise using Oklahoma (Hugh Jackman version), discussing its relevance in the lexicon of musical theatre, the era it was created during, and the microcosm the love/personal story represents of what was happening in the Oklahoma territory at the time. The kids LOVE IT. We also use South Pacific (Kelli O'Hara version) discussing how the piece dealt head on with racism surrounding WW II and the American sentiment surrounding foreigners. (Very poignant today, BTW) Once again... the lids LOVE IT!

DJ Queenan
    Director of Fine Arts
    Savannah GA

• 9.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 13:51
    Where are you all finding a recorded version of Kelli O'Hara's SOUTH PACIFIC? Of did you all record and save it when it aired on PBS? Been looking for it ever since it aired. Thanks.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 10.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 09:30
    The live production of DRIVING MISS DAISY with Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones is fantastic, especially for character realization. Most of the recorded performances from the Stratford Shakespeare Festival are worthwhile. Although a bit salty, a subscription to BroadwayHD is a great investment. Perhaps a booster group would subsidize it?

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 11.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 11:05
    I have used Oklahoma (the West End production starring Hugh Jackman), South Pacific, and Kiss Me Kate (the Tony Revival starring Rachel York) --- though never all three in the same year --- and my students have responded incredibly well to all of them. 

While all three of them have their merits, Kiss Me Kate stands out for me because it's perfect for discussions regarding Shakespeare, adaptations, acting/character choices, choreography, and the construction of a musical (because it has everything except a dream ballet). It all depends on what you really want to have your students discussing.

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 12.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 12:48
    My teaching partner and I show the original Broadway production of Into the Woods to all of our Theatre 1 classes.

In my mixed Theatre 2/3 classes, where I might have some students two years in a row, I alternate showing them the first national touring company of Sweeney Todd (with George Hearn and Angela Lansbury) and the Chichester Festival production of Gypsy (with Imelda Staunton).

All three of these seem to engage those respective classes very well, and we get some great discussions out of them.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 13.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 12:54
    I use A Raisin in the Sun (Sidney Poitier version) in my Intermediate Theatre class. Students research Langston Hughes, Lorraine Hansberry and the actual events that inspired the play. We also discuss the after-math - the Hansberry court case and Ms. Hansberry's experience after her family moved. I then ask students to research and make connections to modern-day events. The discussion usually centers around race, ignorance, hate crimes, social justice, etc. One day I will leave enough time to add the play Clybourne Park to the assignment.

• 14.  RE: Recorded plays/movies for class discussion

Posted 05-17-2019 13:42
    Oh, I show that Raisin in the Sun (at least a couple of scenes) after we read it. We use scenes from the new Denzel Washington Fences (beware of some language), the Dustin Hoffmann Death of a Salesman and the David Tennant Hamlet. Another musical: there's a great version of Sunday in the Park With George with Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters. I also show a bit of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum after we talk about Roman Theatre, and of course we do West Side Story when we learn about the American Musical.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA