Open Forum

View Only

Advice for finding a musical

• 1.  Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-29-2018 11:12
    Hello all,

I was hoping I could draw from the wisdom of the group in helping me choose a musical.  I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right show this year. 

I teach at a small independent school in MA so we have a lot of freedom to do just about any show we want in terms of subject matter.  We did Cabaret this year with a cast of 19 and it was well received.   

But a lot of my leads graduated.  I only have 12 returning kids and while I will certainly get some new 9th graders, they generally can't hold down lead roles.

The real challenge is that I have no tenors among the likely male leads.  So that eliminates most modern smaller shows.  Simultaneously, the potential baritone leads that I have don't play very old or as traditional romantic leads; no Curly or Sky Masterson to be found.  Plus, I don't really have the size of cast to support that kind of show. 

So I have the cast size and type for a more modern/younger show but not the male voices.  

I have read/considered dozens of shows and nothing fits.  I would LOVE suggestions that fit some of the criteria above. 

Thanks!

Bancroft School
    110 Shore Dr, Worcester, MA 01605
    T: 508-853-2640 | F: 508-853-7824
    www.bancroftschool.org

• 2.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 06:56
    I look forward to hearing what people suggest as these are very tight parameters. I can think of a couple comedies, but nothing edgy,

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 08:49
    You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. Either the original or the revival would suit your needs. Only six principles and the rest can make up an ensemble. It doesn't require "singers" and it's always an audience pleaser.

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------
    Garry Tiller
    Drama/Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 11:26
    Look at Captain Bree and Her Lady Pirates, or The Lady Pirates of Captain Bree with Pioneer. I did the one hour version a couple years ago and the girls carry most (maybe all) of the solos. It's a really well-written little gem.

Patti Veconi
    Brooklyn NY

• 5.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 12:26
    Little Shop of Horrors? Neither Seymour or Audrey II are typical male leads. The other two major male roles (Dentist & Mr. Mushnik) are also not typical male singing roles. The rest of the show is pretty much female and it is written for a small cast.

Ann

• 6.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 12:28
    I had this exact issue this past year, but with a few more students available. I second Charlie Brown. Do you have any female potential leads? We ended up doing Chicago - the male roles are baritones, the ensemble size is super flexible, and you really only need 3-4 strong females. You might also look at Moby Dick the Musical. This year, we're doing Putnam County Spelling Bee and planning to be gender flexible with almost all characters - but I have a tenor who showed up last year. Let us know what you end up deciding!

Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX

• 7.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 12:29
    I too was going to suggest you're a good man Charlie Brown. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee may work for you as well, as they're playing children, therefore don't have to have that romantic lead the voice kind of thing.

Beth Keith
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonville High School
    Grandview MO

• 8.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 06-30-2018 18:48
    I second Moby Dick!

Little Me would be perfect since it has two great female leads, great songs and the lead male is supposed to be a character actor (he plays several roles) 

Mack and Mabel too (music mans Robert Preston was in the original)
    ruthless is dark but hilarious

older musicals often have lower male voices and their chorus can easily be smaller:
    Bells Are Ringing,

The Pajama Game,  

The Apple tree – a personal favorite of mine and can be done with the same couple playing all three 1 act leads or separately to spread the wealth 

Anyone can whistle – nobody does it but the music is great and it has two really strong female leads 

Babes in arms -  there are several versions but again the male voices are lower and it's a fun fashion show  but you don't need a ton of people to pull it off 

Barnum  would be super fun  but the male songs I think creep up into the higher part of the baritone range 

l  haven't listened to it in a while but A day in Hollywood/ night  in the Ukraine is small and charming

There are plenty of musicals for non-leading man types: how to succeed...., lucky stiff, once upon a mattress, my favorite year / but usually quirky = tenor ;)

Tams Witmark is your best bet to explore the more old-fashioned musicals - unfortunately modern writers just don't create roles for lower male voices and when they do there is still a crazy high tenor in there hiding!

Note sure if that helps - best wishes on finding the right one!!!

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 9.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 08-12-2018 22:15

Once Upon a Mattress does not need very strong male singing and you can use females for some of the traditional male roles like the Jester and Minstrel)

I know Chicago has been done in high schools and both male roles can sort of talk-sing for the most part... predominantly women-driven and can be done with a smaller cast...

Jennifer DeRosa
    Theater Teacher
    Brooklyn NY

• 10.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 08-13-2018 07:37
    I did Lucky Stiff last year without any true tenors. The lead IS a tenor role, but it's not as high as many others. We were able to push a baritone up. And while my Harry was a good-looking kid, the character is supposed to be kind of shy and nerdy.  The ensemble is written to double down to about 10, but we expanded all the way out to almost 30. There are three great female roles, the comic belter one is AMAZING for the right actress. The show is really funny, there's just a bit of edge. My kids and audiences loved it.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 11.  RE: Advice for finding a musical

Posted 08-13-2018 11:45
    I second the motion of Once Upon a Mattress.  We did it last year with no tenors.    

But if you have a rather young and unseasoned cast pool in general, take a look at Back to the 80's.  Some of the dialogue sounds odd to our ears, as it was written by a Brit, but there are tons of parts, none of which is too taxing.  I thought we would lose our shirts on it, since it wasn't well known, but it was well attended.  Our teachers and parents who graduated from high school in the 1980s were ecstatic--and the 80s are most definitely back.  (Fanny packs, what, what?)  MTI has the rights.  And a careful combing of thrift stores and closets should costume the show.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC