Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  All Shook Up

Posted 06-12-2019 08:24
    Good Morning Community,

Thoughts and pros and cons of doing All Shook Up. We are in a rebuilding year due to graduation.

------------------------------
    Michael Stofko
    Teacher
    Wilkes Barre PA

• 2.  RE: All Shook Up

Posted 06-12-2019 13:24
    It is a great show that both the students and audiences really enjoyed. You do need several soloists for the show, so it may not be the best choice for a rebuilding year. It also requires a significant amount of dance.

Scott Wilson
    Fine Arts Consultant
    Ohio Department of Education
    Columbus OH

• 3.  RE: All Shook Up

Posted 06-13-2019 15:29
    We did it this past fall, and it was an AMAZING show.  However, the vocals are actually fairly difficult (lots of three and four part harmony), and it's extremely dance heavy.  But the kids loved it, the audiences loved it (for the most part - a few more conservative people got a little salty at the dabbling with homosexuality, but were in Texas that was to be expected), and we got nominated for lots of local awards.  

I would not suggest this for a rebuilding year - you need 8-10 solid leads with excellent vocals and LOTS of good dancers.  Keep it in your back pocket for when you've got the talent!

Might I suggest something like Fiddler on the Roof, Big Fish, Bye Bye Birdie, or something Disney?  Even Chicago: The High School Version.  You only need 4-5 really strong vocalists for that one, and the Fosse style jazz dancing is really fun for the students without being so fast-paced that everyone gets lost.  If you've got a small crew this year, something like Come From Away or Once On This Island could fit the bill well, or The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  Break a leg!

Karen Ruth
    Head Theatre Director
    Coppell High School
    Coppell, TX

• 4.  RE: All Shook Up

Posted 06-14-2019 09:25
    One of my all time favorite shows I have directed. Great to be able to connect to English classrooms as it is based on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. However, I agree that it is not a rebuilding year show, I chose it because I had so many solos actor/singers and it was fun to be able to highlight them all. The set is also quite challenging, Act 2 is all in one place but Act 1 you are in so many locations, my run crew felt like they were running a marathon! I actually want to direct it again someday to find a more effective way to do the set plus I adore the show. For sure keep in mind for the future!

What about something like Theory of Relativity? It a local middle school did it here this year (got permission to adapt a few things) and it had a big ensemble, simple choreography and unit set. It was really quite well done and the music is fun.

Emily Mokrycki
    Omaha Burke High School, Theatre Director
    Nebraska Thespians, Co-Chapter Director