Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ITF Newbie

Posted 06-21-2018 11:14
    Although I have been participating in state conference for many years, this is my first year going to Nebraska. I have 7 students with me, 3 are doing IEs and 3 are doing college auditions. We are sharing a bus with another school (Thanks DSA!). However I have found much of the process quite confusing. I'm also quite intimidated. 

2 questions for my more experienced colleagues: 

1) What are the big things you would suggest I tell my students to help them be prepared for this experience? Something they should bring or make sure they get to? Or just in general?

2) What would you tell me that I can't find on the website? Looking for the voice of experience. How do I keep my sanity, what sorts of things should I do while I'm there? Anything?

Help us be prepared. There's no rehearsal for this.

------------------------------
    Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 2.  RE: ITF Newbie

Posted 06-21-2018 12:48
    Hey Scott,

Having been to over 10+ ITF, being a student, college rep and workshop presenter, even getting a chance to go once will be an amazing experience for the students as well as yourself. 

1) What are the big things you would suggest I tell my students to help them be prepared for this experience? Something they should bring or make sure they get to? Or just in general?

Have fun, meet new people (especially the ITO) and take as many different types of workshops they would usually not have the opportunity at your state festival or try something new. If they're wanting to see different shows being performed, go to the ones they may have never seen or even a show they may have performed. It's always great getting to expand their horizon or get a different perspective. 

If you haven't already gone to https://www.schooltheatre.org/itf2018/logistics/atfestival this is a great place to look for what to bring.

2) What would you tell me that I can't find on the website? Looking for the voice of experience. How do I keep my sanity, what sorts of things should I do while I'm there? Anything?

The walks from where the dorms are to the Lied are long so plan accordingly. It also gets cold in the Lied as well so it's wise to bring a jacket or blanket to have. Have an umbrella just in cast the weather doesn't look good.

For IEs, have them go over it, but don't over do it. If you have their critiques from States, it's a good reminder of what had worked well and where they can improve. For College Auditions, their monologue(s) and song(s) should already be prepared and not something they're doing last minute. They will call time if they do go over so it's important to stay under than go right up to the last second.  

Phone charger, an extra phone charger, an extra phone charger cable and of course phone. I always like to think, if I'm right next door to my house but can never go back, what is it that I want to bring that I wouldn't want to forget.

If you're not already on their contacts as well as the other students plus maybe some people from DSA, to keep tabs on everyone. 

Have at least one time during each day, where all of you come together to discuss the experience, answer any questions they may have or get answers and most importantly to keep tabs on everyone. Go to the adult receptions, mingle with other troupe directors, college representatives, guest artists and vendors. Plus it's right across from where the students are during the dance. Curfew is important so just tell your students that Curfew is actually "places," and they need to be performance ready. Plus the week is long and they should get sleep when they can, yes the dances are fun but sleep is just as fun and important for the week. It's a marathon not a sprint, the week so make sure they are also hydrated, fed and if taking movement workshop, properly dressed, warmed up and stretched out.

I could go on, but having also been to the CO Thespian Conference, I feel confident that you know what to expect when going to a Thespian event. You'll have the good, the bad and unexpected. Trust your gut. Do not be afraid to visit the office in the Lied if you have questions, comments or concerns. Download Guidebook because any updates that are important for the week will be posted on the app. Have a great time and hopefully this helped out!

Mark Drum

• 3.  RE: ITF Newbie

Posted 06-22-2018 12:47

You and your students should download the Guidebook and go into it now. You will see the times and locations of the college audition signups. They will see the workshop offerings and and can start planning now. The teachers workshops are also listed and worth attending. This is my PD. Your kids will figure things put fairly quickly, as kids do. Something helpful for you to know, which I did not until several years of attendance: there is an adult cafeteria which is has excellent food, rather than all the carbs from the dorm cafeteria. I do not remember the name of that building, but someone can tell you. Also, there are adult receptions almost nightly with amazing appetizers and desserts. Of course, this is where I start gaining weight. Everyone is very helpful, so don't feel to intimidated. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 4.  RE: ITF Newbie

Posted 06-22-2018 17:20

Scott,

It may seem overwhelming, but you'll get the hang of it. The biggest things I would tell your students:

Take advantage of the workshops. Yes, state conferences get some good workshops, but at ITF you'll find people who have never been to your state before, and similarly, workshops on topics that your students may not have had a chance to explore--taught by great clinicians. Research them in advance via Guidebook, and develop a plan so that they hit everything they really want to hit.

Explore the university exhibits (as well as some of the other exhibits)--there may be some schools here that they hadn't considered before, and it's a great chance to learn about them.

Bring a sweater. The Lied gets COLD.

Meet students from other troupes and other places and see their shows, not just on the mainstage. It's an awesome opportunity to make new friends from halfway across the country (or outside of it) and see what kinds of work people are doing elsewhere.

At the same time, while there are all these opportunities, NONE of them is life or death. If you miss something or need to call a last-minute audible, it happens. Don't feel badly about it. Life happens.

Bring sunscreen, try to eat decently (there are a lot of carbs here if you're not careful) and get at least some sleep. And have fun!

For you:

The evening receptions are a great way to meet other teachers and the guest artists (and just to unwind), and the food is much better--though I've switched over to grazing as the years have gone by, because it's probably not the most brilliant idea to eat a lot and then go right to bed.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: ITF Newbie

Posted 06-24-2018 13:20
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that there are always gluten-free and vegetarian options in the cafeterias.  Students don't need to bring food along that meets their various dietary needs.  

Enjoy!

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: ITF Newbie

Posted 06-25-2018 10:36
    Thanks all for your help. I shared your insight with my students and we are somewhere in Nebraska on I-80 on our way to the festival. 
    Your suggestions and tips were well received. See you there.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO