Open Forum

View Only

Urinetown! - Advice

• 1.  Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-02-2016 12:51

I'm hoping to do Urinetown this fall.  Hoping, because for the first time ever, I feel inclined to clear the selection with administration and board first to avoid drama and problems down the road.  We are a "small-town" values community where many believe all theatre productions should be "feel good," and "appeal to all ages."

Those that know the show, know that overall the content is great for high school level performers and audiences. Unfortunately, the writers gave it a fun, provocative name.  The name on posters and presented to parents or board members will immediately draw negative attention and possibly calls to not allow the show.  (Talk about judging a book by its cover...or musical by its name)

For those that have tackled this show in your high school or community, any advice for how you dealt with the name and negative attention would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

------------------------------
    Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 2.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-02-2016 13:30

I understand the SF Bay Area is quite different from other parts of the country, however, a children's theatre group out here (Youth Musical Theatre Company) did it a few years ago and had a great response. I suspect their reputation and local support had something to do with it, but you may wish to contact them and see how they handled it: http://www.ymtcberkeley.org/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-02-2016 14:12

Does it have to be done now? How long has your program been established? You appear to know already how your community might react.

Couple of options:

1. Write a proposal for your administration (not my original idea; the awesome Jessica Harms initially shared this idea with me for an issue I was facing). Include in your proposal Why this play? Why now? What's the educational value? Bring up it's production history; has it caused mass riots? Protests? City violence? What's the educational/community value of the piece? If there are potential issues, how will you proactively deal with them?

2. I have no idea how this would work out, this is just an idea, but you could hold an open meeting for parents and students, and community members, and pitch the idea to them. Not that you have to do anything or not do anything because your community tells you do, but if the community and the parents can be made to understand why this musical, what the point is, why are you so passionate about THIS play right NOW, then you might engender upfront support. This could be something you do before approaching administration, or after you've gotten admin's approval (i.e. "Look! These parents are right behind it!" or "We won't move forward on this idea until we've completed a parent focus group and see if they're for it")

3. Pray that no one notices the title. A friend of mine did this show, and their principal said "But really, the title...can we do something about the title?" To which my friend responded "Whaddaya want, wanna call it P**sburg instead?" The principal dropped his misgivings after nearly bursting a gut laughing.

George's advice, as ever, is excellent!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-02-2016 15:15

I did it! In a small, conservative, fairly rural Virginia community. AND it was my first year teaching at this school. I love it, my kids loved it, I would do it again in a heartbeat! I did run it by my administrator first, and she had me run it by one of the curriculum supervisors and present it at some parents' meetings (my back to school night and just one of the Parent Advisory board meetings) to see if they had any objections. I checked the script very carefully for objectionable material, and there really isn't anything other than the title. We ended up doing "teaser" posters for the area schools that hinted at the show but didn't actually name it. We put our real titled posters out in the community. Message me if you have questions. That show was a really great experience for us. Great press coverage, audiences loved it, people still remember it years later. So many good roles, fun songs, great opportunities for design and choreography...Ok, I'll stop. I know you're already sold. :-)

Man, now I want to do URINETOWN again!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-03-2016 09:34

We did it last year for our One Act festival entry (yes, we did get permission from the publisher to cut it down).  I too teach in a rural, ultra-conservative community.  Here are some factors that helped:

1) I spent the last six years building up the Drama program and my administration appreciates the fact that I could include so many kids (cast/crew of 40) in the show.  My administration also knows that I will never do anything R-rated, but I did request their "thumbs-up" prior to production.

2) I went OVERBOARD in stressing that, except for the title, the material was appropriate.  Numerous emails to parents, other teachers and the like, as well as a large meeting with the parents of the cast prior to rehearsals. I also focused on the fact that it would enhance the prestige of our program since the show won numerous awards and has a strong reputation.  The kids helped convince their parents and other adults in this.

3) I got our History/Social Studies teachers on board due to the political satire.  We were able to collaborate and develop short lessons/lectures on: The Depression, Labor Movement, and even Environmental Legislation.  Once people saw that theatre is an effective too to communicate academics, potential protests evaporated.

4) The music, script, and choreography we developed were all very challenging.  This is a tough play to produce for kids with little or no musical theatre experience.  We were able to collaborate with a music teacher at a middle school who eagerly helped out and even encouraged her students and their families to come to the public performance.

If you're aggressive about "selling" the show to your conservative community, as we were, you should do well.  

Side-Note: While everyone at competition loved our production and several of our actors were cited for special recognition by the panel, we finished 3rd.   One of the judges hated the title, storyline, and thought breaking the 4th wall by Lockstock and Sally was just, and I quote, "too silly to consider this play relevant in such an important competition."  Sigh.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 6.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-02-2016 16:32

I like Philip's first two ideas of pitching it or doing a meeting, since they show that the audience, and their support, is important. The only thing I would be cautious of (paranoid about?) is creating a precedent, i.e., setting yourself up for having to do this for every show in the future.

On the other hand, with idea #3, you can "play dumb." You're picking the show because it's funny, because it's always well received, because there are some really good parts, because it's a very relevant satire, because it's been popular in high schools and community theatres, yadda yadda yadda. And the title... well... that's what the authors called it; it was their prerogative.  :-)

Oh, and thanks, Phillip. I appreciate that.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 7.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-03-2016 11:23

And when you pitch it to parents in a big meeting, don't tell them the title until you tell them the plot. Maybe have some students do a reading and sing a song or two. THEN tell them the title.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-03-2016 09:22

Hello,

I directed the show in conservative North Dakota and only had one angry letter.  The woman complained about the content and later admitted in the letter that she didn't come to the show.  My principal just said, 'Everybody pees right?'  The title is the biggest hurdle to this show, otherwise it's hilarious with a message that is relevant in today's society.  

I know of a local director who has an advisory board that meets to approve musicals.  The board is stocked with former parents-of-the-program and it seems to carry weight when issues arise.  

I sure hope you proceed.  Remember, the word 'urine' is not a taboo word.

Tom Gillen
    Fargo ND
    Troupe #4561

• 9.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-03-2016 12:16

WOW!!!  I am blown away by the outpouring of support and great ideas here.  Thank you so much to everyone who has shared your experiences and advice on Urinetown.  I will absolutely be using all of it in some way, and it definitely gives me the confidence to plow ahead with the production.

This is first time I've made my way to the forums here.  It's great to see such a vibrant and passionate group of educators sharing with each other and helping each other improve.  I need to make this a daily visit from here on out for sure.

Thank you again!

Brett

Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 10.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-03-2016 12:50

Urinetown is a fantastic show!  I just did it in the spring and received a great audience and great response from my administration.  The show is so fun to do and really not anything to be worried about, as far as appropriateness goes. 

As far as the name goes, they make fun of it also in the play right away.  That settles the audience down from the beginning and they can focus on the show.  You will have students say why are we doing a show like this, blah blah...until they read it and they then fall in love with it as well.

Do the show!  It's fantastic!  Have your admin read it ahead of time to prove how great it is and tell them it's produced by high schools all over the country.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 11.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-04-2016 10:29

I did this show the second year at my high school, it went over great!    I think it's pretty harmless, I had a few people question the title.    I just added at the bottom "The Clean Musical with the not so clean title"  It helped a lot.   One of the best productions we've ever done.

Glen Carpenter

Stansbury High School

Stansbury Park Utah

Glen Carpenter

• 12.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-04-2016 11:54

To add to the chorus of approval:

Urinetown was one of the best experiences I've had for all of the reasons people have stated and more, so don't be dissuaded by possible controversy. (And IMO the title is part of the fun.)

At the time I produced this show, our district had a policy requiring Board approval for every public show title, so I had to present to a district materials committee and to the school board, which led to all kinds of craziness that I won't share here. I'd recommend that you address any possible controversy with at least your admin staff and your parents. The one moment in the show when I thought there might be objection is when Old Man Strong pees near the top of the show. You can downplay it or move it offstage if necessary. Or you can rig a water bladder and have him pee onstage.

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 13.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-04-2016 14:56

I LOVE Glen's tag line -- that's awesome! Our official poster said "environmental destruction...social injustice...political corruption...and they're gonna sing about it?" We also included show quote: "How about bad subject matter? Or a bad title, even? That could kill a show pretty good." Our teaser poster, which did not display the title (just our school name and the dates/times/location of the event) cracked a joke about feeling like you're flushing your money away and said "Come see a world where everything has a price...literally."

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 14.  RE: Urinetown! - Advice

Posted 08-04-2016 19:09

Ask yourself first, WHY do you want to do Urinetown?  You know your community and audience base. Are you doing it because it has great characters and lots of parts of ensemble so you can cast lots of students in a musical?  Or is it for the variety of musical styles and dance styles in the show?  Or is it for a great vehicle to teach students about satire and political humor in today's society?    The list goes on because this musical is much deeper than it's "bad title". 

Urinetown proved to be one of the best experiences my students had because they discovered so much about musical theatre (lots of parody --Lion King, West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof) and they learned classic dance styles and vocal styles of musical theatre.  We sold out every night despite initial worry about the title. Just be clear about your reasons for wanting to do this musical at your school ---how will it add to the growth of your department, for your students. 

One thing that you need to remember is that you need a smart audience for the musical to be fully appreciated because of all the allusions used through out the show.  It's like "Something's Rotten", if you don't know about musical theatre or Shakespeare--you don't get the humor.  

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA