Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spamalot

Posted 04-30-2018 17:51
    We are reviewing options for next spring's musical.  If you have produced Spamalot, please share pluses and challenges.  Would you produce the show again?  Tips? Super fun aspects? Cast size?  Can women play men's roles (including singing range)?

Thank you all.
    -

Kathleen Woods

Palo Alto High School Theatre Program Director

Thespian Troupe 909 Director

California Educational Theatre Association Executive Board

(650) 329-3857 (phone)
    (650) 329-3753 (fax)
    http://www.palytheatre.com

• 2.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 04-30-2018 22:00
    We did SPAMALOT 5 or 6 years ago and we loved it. Had lots of girls in male roles including Not-Dead-Fred and many others.  I would totally do it again if I had a ton of comedians like I did back then.

The best news is that it can be as low tech as you want to make it. The rougher the scenery looks the better the show plays.

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 3.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 05-01-2018 08:20
    We just finished a run of Spamalot in early March. we had great successes with the production and it gave many students the opoprtunity to be featured. We had girls in roles as guys (not dead fred and Knights of Ni). We are a Catholic school as well and so we had conversations about the humor and politics of location. The kids had some great questions about the Broadway song as well as sir lancelot. Both numbers were well received. We had a large cast for the show with  approximately 75 kids after we cut 40. Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 4.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 05-01-2018 10:21
    We did it two years ago and also had a blast! Patsy, Bedevere, Concorde and the Minstrel were played by girls. Maybe the best part is that there are lots of small characters, so most ensemble members can have a moment to shine. With the Historian, you can cast a good actor who doesn't sing. 

We went pretty elaborate with the costumes, but like the sets, they could be cheap-looking in a funny way (we used some plastic and blow-up swords and shields).  There were a lot of costumes, though (maybe the most we've had in a show). I think the best part was telling the actors "you cannot over act, so have fun" - which they did!

Sadly, admin did not approve the Lancelot song, and we had to use the alternate Broadway song. Thankfully, TRW includes a list of approved changes in the script, so you can cater it to even a very prudish audience.  

I would love to do this again! There were no big technical challenges, there is a lot for the ensemble members to do, and it encourages the students to let go and play big.

Here's a link to some pictures of our show: McIntosh Theater

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance