Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-16-2017 09:33
    Hi everyone! I just switched from teaching English for my entire career to teaching Theatre full-time. I've always been into theatre, but it was more of a hobby for me. I love teaching Theatre so far and I'm excited for next year, but I really feel like I need more education and training to do it justice. Do any of you have suggestions? I can't really afford to get my MFA, even though I'd love to. Is there any sort of workshops that you all recommend? I'm in the Central Florida area, but I'm willing to travel. Thanks for helping a newbie out!

• 2.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 06:34
    Check with your local Community Theaters and see if they have educational conservatories. I participate in our summer Shakespeare conservatory at my local community theater, and it's always very helpful. I chat up the stage director, the director, the visiting professionals, and the sound/lights people, and the student actors and learn lots of interesting new tricks.

------------------------------
    Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 3.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 07:30
    At CUA Drama we are offering more and more courses online. In the Fall, two of those courses are 'DR526 The Teaching of Theatre' and 'DR507 Drama in Education.' Students can take courses via the non-degree status option or apply for our Graduate Certificate Program (which can be done completely online):
    Creative Teaching Certificate - The Department of Drama - School of Arts and Sciences - The Catholic University of America
    Perhaps this could be an option for you.

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 08:21
    Cobalt Studios in White Lake, NY has a Teacher Training Program that is scheduled for June 26-30, 2017. The particulars are available on the website. At this time, two openings are available. The website is recently updated and user friendly!

Rachel Keebler
    White Lake NY

• 5.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 08:55
    Have you considered going to the International Festival?  There are a lot of workshops to attend and a lot of theater educators to network with?

Jeffrey Koontz
    Technical Associate
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 09:12
    Hi Kara!

I would highly recommend actingteacherstudio.com

It's new and offers theatre teacher pd online. It's super affordable and it offers a huge variety of topics from Master Teachers from around the world; people that have written books youve probably read, like Jon Jory and Larry Silverberg.

If you are looking for help with curriculum, you may want to check out teacherspayteachers.com.

I find a lot of great stuff on there and I offer a beginning drama curriculum with lesson plans, activities, performance rubrics, etc.

If you are looking to travel, check out the amazing programs offered by the English Speaking Union at esuus.com. they have summer programs to study at the Globe or the Royal Academy of Dramatic Ats, both in London. 😀

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 7.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 09:34
    It's too bad we're so far away - Utah offers several options for Theatre Education professional development in the summer.  BYU hosts two week-long intensives on specific topics relating to theatre education, the Utah Shakespeare Festival offers teacher courses, and our state theatre teacher's group (UACTT) has a short summer conference with speakers and workshops.  You can get university credits for all these opportunities for a spectacular rate.  If you want to come West (Utah is gorgeous!!) and are interested in learning more let me know.  shawnda_moss@byu.edu

Shawnda Moss
    Associate Lecturer
    BYU Theatre & Media Arts
    Springville UT

• 8.  RE: Summer teacher training?

Posted 04-17-2017 11:04
    I'd also recommend one of the courses through the ESU to travel to Engalnd and train. I went several years ago and had a blast, learned a lot, stayed in contact with the other teachers in my group, etc...

The International Festival in Lincoln is a great option and the National Conference (this year it's in Tennessee) is another great place to get a lot of info in a short time. If you are looking for something more consistent I'd also contact your State Board and ask if there is a mentor teacher on the board you can arrange to meet or chat with to help you through the specifics in your state. 

Welcome to the madness! ;^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ