Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-25-2019 10:56
    I am trying to put together a proposal for 2 guest artists to come in to do a 90 minute master class in Shakespeare, which will consist mostly of the two of them performing scenes from plays in the curriculum plus working with students a bit. This will be a large classroom setting for 4 classes (about 100 kids). It is in no way a school assembly.

I have been quoted $1,750 for the cost of this gig, which seems wildly excessive. Thoughts ? Does anyone feel comfortable sharing what they've paid in the recent past for similar sessions ?

------------------------------
    Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 2.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-25-2019 12:05
    I've never paid for a guest artist, but there are a few factors to consider. What is their pedigree (training, education, credentials, certification, etc)? How far are they traveling? Are they distributing any materials to the students, or purchasing any supplies that their fee would cover the cost of? Depending on the answers to these questions, I could justify that cost - but I can also view it as overcharging. With 100 kids, $17.50 per person for a master class in Shakespeare doesn't seem too bad.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-25-2019 14:11
    Thank you for another perspective, Josh. They will be traveling only about 40 miles .  They are very experienced in doing longer residences in schools, so there's that to consider. Thank you for your thoughts.

• 4.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-28-2019 11:08
    Hi Charles,
    You may want to see if one of the universities within driving distance (UMass at Falmouth? Providence?) would send an instructor as a recruiting opportunity. I had CSU Fullerton reach out to me in September and it was great. You also have the Provincetown Playhouse within range. But for perspective, I had guests artists working on a production as actors with my students (for five weeks) and it ran $3K for rehearsals and performances at Equity rates. It may be less expensive to rent a bus and turn it into a university theater department field trip and master class, and get the kids out for the day. Plenty of universities won't charge to go to them.
    Regards,
    Joe

Joseph D'Aquino
    Newport Harbor High School
    Theater Department Program Director
    Newport Beach, CA

• 5.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-29-2019 11:48
    Hi, Charles,

Last year I brought the traveling troupe of Shakespeare & Company out of Lenox, MA. They performed an hour-long HAMLET for the Upper School (9-12), ran a great talkback after the performance, and ran an hour workshop for selected group of student actors. The cost was 2500 plus lunch in the cafeteria. The entire student body was delighted and my drama students were motivated by the workshop. I found the experience well worth the cost.

Anna

Anna Bean
    Teacher and Director of Theater 
    Long Trail School
    Dorset, VT 05251

• 6.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-28-2019 12:10
    I've had a guest artist (local professional film and stage actor) come in recently from 3 hours away. He charged $500 for a half-day, catering to 44 students.

Maralie Medlin
    Director of Fine Arts
    Gaston Christian School
    Gastonia, NC

• 7.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 09-28-2019 14:59
    100 kids is a large group for 90 mins.  You're essentially having an in-school field trip; the show is coming to the kids rather than the kids to the show. The size of the audience is always a factor in pricing for guest artists.  For a program as you describe, the price seems fair.

Before you commit, be sure to talk with other teachers with whom this grouped has worked.  Testimonials are a very practical way to determine the value of guest artists.  

When I quote costs for the master classes I teach, an option I often give is to bring an extra teaching artist and spread out the workshops.  For example: We would do a 45 minute performance with three actors and then each actor would take a groups of students to lead smaller, interactive workshops.  It's the same money as two performers, but the workshops are much more manageable.

Perhaps you could investigate such options.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 8.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 10-05-2019 12:16
    Thank you all for the input. We too call this kind of session an "in-school field trip." 

I actually have negotiated with the teaching artists and they are willing to come down to a figure more within our means and still meet our needs. Thank you for your 
    thoughts..

Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 9.  RE: Cost for Guest Artists

Posted 10-07-2019 09:23
    I've been told that I undercharge, but my fee has always been $500 + Lodging for a stand-alone workshop, and $300 when booked along with a full performance. 

Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    www.moliere-in-english.com