Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-26-2017 13:58
    First time musical theater director here!

I've secured the rights to do Peter and the Starcatcher at my high school. Yippee! We start rehearsals February 13. I already feel about 4 months behind schedule for my own prep work, but the rental contract says the rental period for the libretto and musical score is 2 months. That gives me 0 time to prepare in advance to direct the show - we have an 8 week rehearsal window but rehearsals only a few days each week. I'm confused about this. How do directors, designers, musicians prepare for a musical if the rental period is so short? I don't get it. I've written to my rep and asked for an advance director's copy but haven't heard from her yet.

Thanks for your insight and any recommendations!
    Arden

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 06:50
    Hi Arden,

I just took over directing our musicals last year and haven't done an MTI show yet, but for both TRW and Rodgers & Hammerstein, the licensing contract they sent that I had to fill out had a spot to order advanced copies for the director (they included the libretto and the piano score).  <g class="gr_ gr_427 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="427" data-gr-id="427">Cost</g> was about $75 and they were sent as soon as our payment was confirmed so I got them well ahead of the rented materials.

Lynda Gibson
    Troupe 2829
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing Community Schools
    Flushing, MI

• 3.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 07:56
    I am doing Mary Poppins and at my request MTI sent me up to three advanced items. I chose the libretto, the conductor's score, and a choreography DVD  that they offer for the show - all I paid for was the shipping. I think they only send if you have a fully paid contract.  Also the script for Peter... may be on line. My students always seem to find one before me - lol - and they have found the last couple (High School Musical, The Miracle Worker, In the Heights, etc.) as a PDF and used they as their script.

If you want to start your research, I found a link to the production handbook https://www.mtishows.com/sites/default/files/patsc_handbook_small.pdf
    Mtishows remove preview
    View this on Mtishows >
    https://www.mtishows.com/sites/default/files/patsc_handbook_small.pdf
    Mtishows remove preview
    View this on Mtishows >

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 4.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 08:05
    Hi,

For an additional charge, you can ask for the materials month early. If it is simply prep time for you, get a perusal copy of the script from MTI.  Additionally, there are materials available on the Internet that can be of assistance (some legal, some not so much).

Thanks,

Dana 

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 08:11
    I always rent a copy of the script and libretto  in advance to prepare. Then I also pay for using the scripts an extra month because two months is not enough time for us. We get the scripts in early January for an early April show. The orchestra books are still rented for two months.

Valerie Gargus
    NJ Thespians Festival Director
    Play & Thespian Troupe Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 6.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 08:13
    You can pay a little extra for early materials. I always do this for a musical!! Break a leg!

• 7.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 15:15
    HI Arden,

I would agree with everyone else. Just a couple of other things regarding musicals:
    1. We are doing Little Mermaid on March 7. I received materials yesterday with no advance requests. Usually when they have the materials ready, they will send them out. Our rehearsals won't start until January 9. But I have everything (orchestration and scripts) now. 
    2. As far as rehearsal goes, we usually do an 8 week rehearsal for musicals at a minimum of 2 hours a day and 5 days a week. If you do less days, you need to do more hours/day. I break it up with a couple of days of acting, one or two days of music practice and one or two days of choreography (with overlaps, obviously). As you get closer to the show you add more time and then find more time when you can. I have an advanced class that I use for smaller scenes if needed. If that isn't available, maybe have your music director run a rehearsal for the ensemble and you work the small group numbers for a day or two.
    3. If you are using an orchestra, plan two days to work just on music between the actors, musicians and conductor. Go through the whole show. Every time you add a new element to the show (orchestra, costume, sets, lighting, etc) you start over and need time to make it work.

8 weeks is plenty of time to put the show together. I usually start at the end on my rehearsal calendar and work backwards (performances are here, what do I need to do the day before? and before that? and when do I want them off script?, etc.) Break a leg!

Gary Sessa
    Theatre Teacher
    Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

• 8.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-27-2017 17:40
    Thank you, everyone, for all your advice! As always, this forum is incredible!

Arden

Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 9.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 12-29-2017 12:23
    Hi Arden,
    Hooray! I love your drive. As a retired teacher (Branson, MO), I would say Gary Sessa's advice is SPOT ON! Great outline. 
    I usually paid for the extra month, but that was because our musicals were mid February, and I needed to start rehearsals in early December to account for winter break. You will want to check your school calendar for any breaks that can cut into your rehearsal schedule.
    Good for you and Break a leg!
    Debbie Corbin

• 10.  RE: rights for musicals - short rental period - how do you prepare in such a short window?

Posted 01-03-2018 00:15
    Great advice and encouragement already offered! 

Usually the 8 weeks should be enough time, but as Debbie pointed out, be aware of your calendar in case you need extra. And to second several posters: there are ways of obtaining the material for planning purposes before the rental period. That could mean purchasing a copy for yourself to mark up and abuse, it could mean finding a random PDF online, or it could be asking for a perusal copy for you to study really hard before you get your cast set of books. Be sure to be above reproach and legal in how you approach your prep, as far as it rests with you. 

But have fun! First times are always exciting and you'll learn an awful lot without even trying, but from the spirit and vim of your previous posts, you sound like you're super enthusiastic and ready to make it a success!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON