Open Forum

View Only

In person "in-seat" drama program

• 1.  In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-07-2021 16:07
    I think our school pivoted quite well when we had to move our Pre K3-12th grade drama/theatre curriculum and classes to 100% virtual learning for SY20-21, but we have just found out that we will be in-person next year.  So glad to be back in the building with our students!  But, because of new safety protocols, students will need to stay seated at individual desks for whole class periods.  We have never had desks in any of our classrooms and our drama/theatre classes for all ages involve ensemble work, theatre games, improv, creative movement, not sitting in a seat, etc.  If anyone has any resources to share for "in-seat" drama curriculum, projects, activities, etc. (especially for Pre K-6th grade) they would really be appreciated!  We can tweak many of our theatre and improv games to "in-seat", but we would love to do some longer-term projects.  Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Joanna Lewton
    Arts Director
    Capital City Public Charter School
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-08-2021 11:54
    Wow, it must be great to have planning for next year from your district at such an early stage in our COVID response.

I am just thinking that it would make the most sense for me to place the seats or desks in a circle or perhaps a thrusted arrangement if the circle doesn't work.  Perhaps remove everything else from the room, stage so the circle can be accomplished--- I think in this way a lot of our work could be adapted to seated in chairs or desks.  Maybe explore different seating arrangements for different days-- pods on one day, thrust on another--- perhaps trying to anticipate group work in this way.  For example, we create a lot of three and four person skits-- maybe in pods the students could accomplish the same tasks. 

I hope you will be able to create some other paradigms for your work.  Would the district allow say, for example, students to work in specific areas of a stage or large open space?  Is out of doors a possibility?

Michael Johnson
    Trinity High School

• 3.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-10-2021 07:44
    I think your older kids could definitely do Stories on Stools (I can share examples if you like), which are seated adaptations of folk/fairy tales or Reader's Theatre. @Rosalind Flynn has a great article about how to use Reader's Theatre to explore content (we do them at the end of first semester to review the theatre history periods we've covered). I also think you could have fun with Radio Theatre. You can find free recordings and scripts online and have them play with voice work and sound effects to create their own pieces.​​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 4.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-11-2021 11:33
    Joanna, I hope you'll explore physical exercises that can be done in a chair.  By searching for Chair Yoga, Chair Yoga for Kids, Chair Exercises, and Chair Exercises for Kids, you'll find many videos.  Mime is also a great physical activity that could be explored in a chair.  Having students do exercises or mime lessons projected on a screen or smart screen at the front of the classroom seems a great way to keep them facing front while allowing them to have some physical activity and work on training their physical instrument.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator

• 5.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-10-2021 10:55
    Will your PE classes also be seated?

Nancy Curtis
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Troupe 3178

• 6.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-10-2021 12:59
    Can't wait to hear the answer to the last question by Nancy!

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 7.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-10-2021 13:40
    Re Nancy Curti's question about P.E- that is a great question!  They are figuring that out now but I believe that team is planning, as long as the weather is not awful, to take students (1,000 Pre K3-12th grade outside for fitness classes.  We have fields, a soccer pitch and a basketball court.  Not sure what they are going to do during rain and snow though.

Joanna

Arts Director
    100 Peabody Street, NW
    Washington DC 20011
    202 808 9750
    JLewton@ccpcs.org

Celebrating 20 Years of Educational Excellence!

All are welcome and included at Capital City.   We stand with immigrants, refugees, and people of all faiths. We honor all cultures and languages.  We believe that Black lives matter.  We empower girls and women.  We stand with our LGBTQ community members.  We celebrate and support learning differences.  We value the rich diversity of our community.  We help one another. Together we are stronger.

• 8.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-11-2021 09:13
    Nancy, this is my fear that my school is going to say the same thing.  I teach middle school and have never had individual desks in my classroom and would not know what to do with the students.  I hate the idea of doing digital projects on their Chromebooks, I'm so sick of technology.  I don't have any ideas for you, but I'm watching this thread for ideas to take.  
    You're not alone!

[Pam] [Podolner]
    [Speech/Drama Teacher]
    [Lincoln Middle School]
    [Berwyn] [IL]

• 9.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-11-2021 09:27
    Maybe we could all support each other in sharing ideas and resources as more schools impose these constraints on our drama/theatre programs.  I am starting to collect ideas (from the amazing group on this forum and from other sources)- Head In A Box Theatre, Stories On Stools, Reader's Theatre, Radio Theatre/Sound Effects Theatre, Playwriting, Theatre design projects, dramaturgy and critique projects, adapted theatre games, (etc.). I have been looking for any virtual professional development I could send my team to that would specifically address this reality.  Maybe more PD will be created that focuses on this situation if/as the need grows.

Arts Director
    100 Peabody Street, NW
    Washington DC 20011
    202 808 9750
    JLewton@ccpcs.org

All are welcome and included at Capital City.   We stand with immigrants, refugees, and people of all faiths. We honor all cultures and languages.  We believe that Black lives matter.  We empower girls and women.  We stand with our LGBTQ community members.  We celebrate and support learning differences.  We value the rich diversity of our community.  We help one another. Together we are stronger.

• 10.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-11-2021 09:36
    EdTA has a resource for creating online lessons that could probably be adapted to in-person. Drama Teacher Academy has a BUNCH of stuff, including some traditional drama games and scenes adapted for social distancing. Here's the brainstorming list I started last year with some other people on the forum.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre

• 11.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-11-2021 09:44
    Cassy- 

This is great- I appreciate it!  I will definitely add it to my collection of resources.  The (new to me, anyway) challenge is that all activities/projects have to have students seated at desks (facing in the same direction and not able to get up at all ��) so moving around to stations, any non-seated physical work will not be possible.  But I do see things on the doc that can be adapted so thank you for sharing it!

Arts Director
    100 Peabody Street, NW
    Washington DC 20011
    202 808 9750
    JLewton@ccpcs.org

• 12.  RE: In person "in-seat" drama program

Posted 05-21-2021 14:57
    Oh, I meant to share an example of Stories on Stools. The students directed these themselves, so obviously you could direct them to get bigger and bolder physical choices (we had a lot of snow and students out when they were rehearsing these).

These are are posted in our school's Digital Archive, so hopefully you'll be able to access them. Let me know if there are problems.

The Frog King

The Tongue Cut Sparrow

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre