Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Evening of One Acts

Posted 08-02-2021 17:16
    For my Winter Play next year (which is usually Shakespeare, a comedy, murder/mystery, etc ...) I would like to do two one acts (both with fairly large casts - 8-10 people each - around 45 minutes each) that are either by the same playwright ("An evening of ....")  OR follow a similar theme. I just don't know where to start looking. My rationale is getting as many students involved as possible. Usually my Winter Play has a small cast but for this upcoming year, I am trying to rebuild my program - with as many students involved as possible. Any ideas on what two one acts I could produce? Thank you so much for your help!!

------------------------------
    Andrew Ballnik
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Lakeridge High School

• 2.  RE: Evening of One Acts

Posted 08-03-2021 06:39
    Hi Andrew - 

I recommend that check out the New Play Exchange - https://newplayexchange.org/  For only $10-$25/year (depending on what level you want), you have access to thousands of scripts and can search by using any keywords and parameters you like (for example, 10 person comedies that are high school appropriate).  Our one-act festival is now entirely done with plays found through NPX and it gives the students an extra lesson in how to work with a living playwright that you can reach out to and ask questions of.  I highly recommend it!  (We also pay to give our senior theatre students an account for the year and many also find their college monologue audition pieces from here as well).

Stephen Kaplan
    Bergen County Academies
    Lead Teacher - Academy for Visual & Performing Arts/Theatre
    --------------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Evening of One Acts

Posted 08-16-2021 16:35
    I sent you a dm

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com