Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  20 Minute Musicals

Posted 04-21-2022 16:01
    I've been asked to head up a summer theater workshop for a 21st-century organization. I have an as-yet-unknown number of participants in the elementary-to-middle age range, two hours a day Mon-Thu, with the goal of rehearsing and presenting a show. These are not 'theater kids' that are signing up for a theater workshop - they have several other activities they will do throughout their day and some of them (maybe most) will be shy being in front of people.

I figure a musical will be easier to learn in that short period of time, but I'd like to keep it short, 15-20 minutes (I'd go 30 if I had to). 

My usual resources are not turning up much in the short-musical-large-cast search strings. Any suggestions of good shows, or good places to look, would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 2.  RE: 20 Minute Musicals

Posted 04-22-2022 08:24
    Try "Back to the Summer" by Wade Bradford.  It's royalty free and allows you to make changes if needed.  It also has the option to add songs or not in some places.  It's a cute story with several little vignette scenes as three kids travel through time trying to avoid going back to school.  We did it a few years ago as a student directed one act in middle school.  It was a fun one that didn't take too much rehearsing.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School
    FL

• 3.  RE: 20 Minute Musicals

Posted 04-22-2022 11:21
    How about "21 Chump Street"? It's a fun Lin-Manual Miranda piece that runs about 15 minutes. Concord Theatricals. (You may want/need to do some background for the kids about "21 Jump Street"!)

Jacquie Thompson-Mercer
    Retired, Bakersfield High School
    California Educational Theatre Association
    Emeritus Member, California Thespian Board
    Bakersfield, CA

• 4.  RE: 20 Minute Musicals

Posted 04-22-2022 15:43
    I'll give that a look. I need to make sure it's age appropriate for elementary and middle school aged students, which I doubt, but it's a great show!

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 5.  RE: 20 Minute Musicals

Posted 04-22-2022 12:48
    Josh,

The MTI Kids shows might be worth a look. Most of these are severely edited versions of full-length musicals (Annie, etc.): https://www.mtishows.com/broadway-junior/shows

Best wishes,
    Rob