Advocacy

View Only
  • 1.  Advocacy and YOU!

Posted 02-03-2015 21:57
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Advocacy and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------

Hello, advocates! I just attended the Mississippi Thespian Conference and received some new definitions of Advocacy. Now, I ask YOU to respond with your definition of Advocacy, plain and simple. What does it mean and why does it matter to you?

#ArtMatters
    ------------------------------
    Liz Coin
    International Thespian Officer
    Bettendorf IA

• 2.  RE: Advocacy and YOU!

Posted 02-04-2015 09:45

It was great to see you in Missouri, too, Liz!  Here's my answer--

Advocacy is an ongoing and continuous campaign to raise awareness about the importance of a program or an issue.  If you wait until there's a problem, it is too late.

Why it matters?  If times are tight, no matter how much an administration "likes'  the arts, the brutal truth is they are not tested subjects and rarely part of a district's rating system with the state.  We have to continually remind administrators, school boards, and the "real decision makers" in communities that the arts are a vital part of education.  Who are those real decision makers?  Look at who your superintendent has coffee with in town or the clubs they belong to.  Business people, government officials, influential parents.  Identify them and start the conversation.  Remember, if you are not at the table when the knives come out to cut away the 'fat,' then you are probably on the table.

Shameless self-promotion moment--I'm doing an advocacy workshop at the Arkansas Thespian Conference next week.  I hope to see a lot of my friends from "south of the border" there!

Ben Martin
    Past Board Of Trustees
    Executive Director, Missouri Alliance for Arts Education
    Lee's Summit MO

• 3.  RE: Advocacy and YOU!

Posted 02-04-2015 12:46
    Hello Mr. Martin,
    I would like to introduce my self, Maria Boundas Bakalis. I am both educator and theatre artist and am committed to arts education. Your analysis of how we can help is so on target. Many times we meet at conferences with like minds. This may help reinforce our commitment but does little to further our cause.
    In addition to your suggestions, I would like to add that ,perhaps, we should be attending conferences in other academic disciplines and built bridges with educational disciplines. We must understand how we can make more links to other content areas. This may help us gain more support for the arts as integral to all of education.

Maria Boundas Bakalis, Ed.D

mapi2581@aol.com

• 4.  RE: Advocacy and YOU!

Posted 02-05-2015 09:20
    I'm completely in agreement, Dr Bakalis. I know during my career I reached out to English Language Arts, history, special Ed., and other departments in school to do joint projects. And I don't think my experience was at all unique. But I would join you in urging our colleagues to go to professional conferences hosted by other disciplines. My work with Missouri Alliance for Arts Education has taken me to music, art and dance conferences. It is fascinating to experience the unique culture in each separate organization. I've also attended conferences of gifted education teachers and the school boards and school administrators. Finally, the growing STEM movement is fertile ground for cross disciplinary work. In some respects, we are overwhelmed by our opportunities! ------------------------------ Ben Martin Past Board Of Trustees Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education Lee's Summit MO ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Advocacy and YOU!

Posted 02-05-2015 10:07
    Hello again, Mr. Martin,
    There are more opportunities to weave the arts into the fabric of education. In Illinois there is now STEAM--"A" for "Arts." In addition to those disciplines that you mentioned, I believe we would benefit from listening in on educators who teach math, science, and technology. I think if we understand their goals we will be better able to find ways that the arts can support those disciplines.

Maria

mapi2581@aol.com