Open Forum

View Only

Overtime

• 1.  Overtime

Posted 02-20-2017 11:36
    Maybe this shouldn't really be discussed, but does anyone else get frustrated with the amount of extra (unpaid) time we put in on rehearsals & productions? I mean, I'm happy to do it for my kids, but I don't understand why I don't get a coaching stipend or why I can't count that time towards my mandatory work days. I'm just feeling a little frustrated with the amount of time I spend away from my family, and I feel like I'm just expected to deal with it because "all teachers work overtime that much and don't get paid."

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-20-2017 11:44
    No, I feel it too. I'm at school at least 10 hours daily, sometimes 14-16 hours during show weeks. My wife has brought it up too and I feel awful that I see my kids more than I see her. My school does give me a small stipend for each mainstage that I do (about $500 each), but it hardly covers the extra hours that are spent here.

Can you possibly talk to your principal about something? Maybe they can give you your teacher workdays off? My principal does that for teachers who volunteer to chaperone homecoming/prom/etc.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-21-2017 12:18
    Several years ago, my principal put me on the "Fargo Scale," a scale used to determine a coach's stipend.  It's based on the amount of hours you put in and the number of students you "coach."  While we'd all like to be paid more, I felt that my stipend was very fair after going on Fargo.  If you're not getting a stipend commensurate with the coaches, I'd ask your principal about the Fargo scale.  He/she may or may not be using it, but they're using SOMETHING to determine coach salaries.

Not to be a rabble-rouser, but I'm gobsmacked that some of you are not getting a stipend.  Drama teachers put in SO many hours!

Allan Dodson
    Roswell GA

• 4.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-21-2017 06:38
    I'm getting ready to go to my union about my drama stipend and ask for a reconfiguration of the amount. I don't believe it's been raised in over 20 years, plus I don't understand how I am paid about a quarter of what coaches are paid and their season is four months long and mine goes all year (granted I'm not having rehearsals every single night of the year, but I start doing things in August and we have our awards program in May). What I'm doing is gathering data from a lot of schools to see what their drama coaches are paid so that I can show a reason for my asking beyond just the comparison of coaches salaries. I also am paid about a third of what the average drama coach is paid from the data I gathered. Not only that, but there is a middle school steering committee sponsor that is paid the exact same amount as me (relatively new position) and at first they were working and taking care of all of the concessions for middle school home games, which I thought was fair at least they are putting in some time for that, but I just recently found out that they no longer work at those games. So I am now asking why they are getting paid the same amount for having a few meetings a year (during the school day) and I believe they have had two fundraisers- a penny war and a bake sale- that doesn't seem very fair to me. So I suggest you get some data from other schools in your state that have the same population and go to your administrators and union about it.

Rachel Cunningham
    Elwood IN

• 5.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-21-2017 08:09
    This is one of those things that when I sit down and do the math, I just get so mad...

I figure that my "coaching" stipend is about .15/hour.  Between the 160+ hours I work on the musical OUTSIDE of school and the 120+ hours I work on the play OUTSIDE of school in addition to more than 20 additional hours working on one acts/competitions/fundraisers/etc., I am actually insulted by the amount of my stipend.  My season starts the second week of September and runs full steam until the beginning of March!  There's a few nights in the spring, but YIKES!  
    I'm told that my stipend only covers the state high school league production and that the main stage shows are extra (expected, though).  I'd love to have some hard evidence about what other coaches make per season.  And, since my season is a full 2 seasons, have my stipend reflect that.

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 6.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-21-2017 09:02
      |   view attached
    I've attached the list of stipends paid to coaches/music directors/drama, etc. Hope this helps.
    It's for the Jefferson County Public School system in Louisville, KY

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

Attachment(s)

xlsx
    2017 Compensation.xlsx   44 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-22-2017 07:59
    Assistant coaches of every single sport are paid double what I am paid to direct. Coaches are paid triple. 
    Nature of the beast that is high school. 
    Sports are more valued, always have been. 
    So I just remember that I am doing it for the love and the kids. 
    Even though it is completely ridiculous and insulting.  

• 8.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-21-2017 11:55
    I should probably look into this too. It never occurred to me that there could be extra money in the job for working outside the 8-to-3. I just sort of assumed it was part of the job.

I guess the upside to my ignorance is that if I DO qualify for any kind of stipend or overtime, it will totally feel like Christmas after three years of 'working for free.'

Especially since, frankly, our district is not rich and I will not count on getting anything beyond my salary. I almost feel guilty asking for more money than I'm getting.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 9.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-21-2017 20:36
    Cassy,

I think this is an occasion for self-advocacy. You are a coach and should be paid a stipend of some sort. Years ago, my school assumed it was "part of my job." When I calculated the hours at over 400 extra contact hours, we worked out a stipend plan. That was when I was doing two shows a season, now I am at 3 - 4. If your admin is open to the discussion, it is an easy comparison to the amount of time spent by a faculty/coach for a sports team.

Hope this helps.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 10.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-22-2017 05:46
    I, too began as a free drama teacher, but I was lucky enough to have fewer academic classes. After I couple years, I argued that my after school duties were the equivalent of coaching, so now I am paid $3500 per show, the same stipend as an after school coach. The one exception is if I do a show that rehearses in class time. Then, I do not receive a stipend. For the record, I also had to argue, twenty years ago, that my students could ride the late bus. At the time, the bus had been purchased from the sports budget and they wouldn't let drama kids on. It took an angry parent asking no about why his bus fee didn't over that to change the school's mind. Thankfully, everything is equal now.

Sent from my iPad

• 11.  RE: Overtime

Posted 02-23-2017 08:27
    When I interviewed at our high school, I was told the drama teacher stipend was $2400. They ended up not hiring a high school drama teacher and hiring me at our brand-new middle school. When I asked about the stipend, I was told it was for high school and no drama stipend had been established with the new middle school (where drama had never been). When I pointed out the obvious that they did not have a HS drama teacher and asked if it could be given the stipend, the asst. superintendent informed me that it had been "absorbed back into the budget" and refused to discuss it further. After 4 years of absolute slavery to my district and making them look very good in the public eye, I was approached by the new superintendent about doing a MS/HS musical. I agreed, but requested a stipend. He agreed. After continuously reminding him about it, last year I received $500 from each the MS and the HS. Thiugh it was very successful and he asked me to take it up a notch this year, I was cut back to only $500 from the MS. When I asked about it, I was told that they "ran out of stipends." As I am a "do-it-all drama teacher," this is absolutely infuriating, but my choices are limited: suck it up and continue doing my slave labor job; refuse to do the extra work and watch myself get fired for a younger teacher who will do it for free; or nag relentlessly. Honestly, with all the work I do, I just don't have time to nag, so like the majority of other drama teachers, I will...for the sake of my students and my job...suck it up.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS