Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-23-2019 08:14
    This year, I changed my first semester 8th grade drama class from “Production” - in which we would spent the term preparing an original devised play - to “Performance Practices” for which I’m excited to be doing a bunch of units I never get to because we always using classes to produce shows. The result is my roster has just six very dedicated and awesome kids - all girls - who have signed up for the class. YAY!!! I want to surprise them with a unit on make-up techniques and special effects during October in anticipation of Halloween. How fun! But I’ve never taught make-up before and my college make-up class was literally decades ago. HELP! Any suggestions on what kit(s) to buy and a good unit outline?

• 2.  RE: Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-23-2019 09:39
    If you have a decent budget, go ahead and get a moulage kit - there will be lots of things in it to play around with.  However, if cost is a concern, you can do a lot with just a burn wheel, a bruise wheel, fake blood and scar wax (and you could possibly skip the burn wheel .

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-23-2019 13:06
    Thank you!

Patti Veconi
    Brooklyn NY

• 4.  RE: Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-23-2019 11:35
    If you haven't signed up for Norcostco emails I'd recommend that. They regularly have coupons and I believe they have a break for a first order. 

In terms of what to buy:
    Bruise wheel
    Conceal wheel
    Powder (to set the make-up)
    Brushes and cleaners
    A variety of the creme stackables (great way to get a variety of colors)

Here's a possible outline:
    Types of make-up and tools
    Highlighting and shadowing
    Basic stage make-up
    Old age make-up
    Wounds and moulage
    Then you can start playing with what type of designs and special effects you want.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-23-2019 13:07
    Super helpful. Thank you!

Patti Veconi
    Brooklyn NY

• 6.  RE: Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-24-2019 07:53
    Hi all
    i used to be our school's hair and make up designer for the schools theatre program. I also teach a theatre course including make up. I would echo many of the thoughts above regarding a good outline of makeup design. Starting with the basics and then adding my details like old age, bruising, scars, even liquid latex and prosthetics. Teaching at an all boys school I also get into facial hair techniques with them. My course is in the fall and one of my assignments is to create a zombie character complete with hair, makeup, costume, and a back story of how they became a zombie. It is one way to have the boys conceptualize a character from start to finish and with many examples in main stream media. Liquid latex is awesome to work with and you don't need a lot to create a look. Sometimes you can even use liquid glue which is cheaper to get the same looks. The glue can help with aging too. My recommendation is to play around with a couple of options to see what you and your students find what works for you and them. There are also a ton of decent resources online and videos to watch to assist. Aside from the latex I too like the death wheel, ash powder, dirt powder, tooth polish, and believe it or not, tissues. Adding thin layers of tissue to your latex or glue can create a stronger and thicker flesh wound. If using the listed just be aware of any allergies. A downside of latex in addition to the liquid goes bad after awhile. Good luck  

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 7.  RE: Make up Unit Ideas

Posted 08-25-2019 07:10
    My grad school advanced makeup class used the $60 Ben Nye kit. It contains everything you need for regular and SFX makeup except I would but more liquid latex. Google has done really excellent tutorials on using scar wax and liquid latex  creatingin fantastic SFX looks. Start with the  bone structure/skeleton to teach where to use highlights and shadows and work up to prosthetics. I made mermaid "ears" with bread ties, latex, and colored paints for one project.

Sheryl Davis
    Teaching Artist/Theatre Director
    Sanford NC