Open Forum

View Only

Fundraising HELP!

• 1.  Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-01-2019 10:55
    I'm capping off a year where I accepted a job as a public school teacher in a high school, two weeks before school started, without an education degree. I had absolutely NO plan coming into this position and I've learned so much! But I'm trying to do better this year, because I dropped a lot of balls throughout this year.

The main place I need help is fundraising. I have no budget for anything. Every dime I have to spend I have to raise myself through fundraising, for both regular drama and tech theatre classes, my outside-of-school plays, and Thespians. At my school, we're not allowed to have competition between the clubs for fundraising, so all the fundraisers that actually make decent money are already taken. (Example: Our martial arts teacher has a snack shack where she sells snacks out of her room that our vending machine isn't allowed to carry by state law, like candy bars, honey buns, etc. She makes SO MUCH MONEY!)

So here are my questions for you. First of all, do your Thespians pay dues? If so, how much? Mine hadn't in the past, and didn't this year, but I really think we need to. (Keep in mind we're in a low income area, with 75% of our students below the poverty line.)

Secondly, do you all have any creative ideas for fundraisers that wouldn't already be taken by other clubs? We already have all the standard ones covered, like selling chocolate bars, coffee, cookies, & nuts, sodas, coffee, snacks, all that jazz. We're not allowed to do a Halloween event (another club does that already) or any dances (StuCo has a monopoly on that). Penny wars is also taken. We can't do a carnival or teacher pie-in-the-face.

I started having popcorn and pickle sales after school, but that barely covers what I need for just the drama department. I need a uniquely THESPIANS fundraiser.

Thank you all so much for your help! 

------------------------------
    Catherine Etter
    Drama & Theatre Tech
    Harding Fine Arts Academy

https://www.donorschoose.org/Ms.EttersClassroom

• 2.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-01-2019 11:44
    I'm a big fan of selling things people will buy anyway.  Instead of buying from the store, they buy from us.  To that end, we have 4 major fundraisers -

1. We run a fireworks stand in the summer.  In our state, that's 7-10 days of commitment, and last year we made about $3000.  It is a 24/7 commitment - someone has to sleep there so no one steals the product - but it's worth it.  It was also a great way to advertise our season.
    2. We sell holiday wreaths and swags in the fall for pick up the first week of December.  We get them from a local tree farm and the quality is great.
    3. Silent auction - we solicit donations and then auction them through a silent auction at the closing performance of our fall musical.  We generally make around $1000 for not a lot of work.
    4. Donor drive/ad sales/shout outs - donations, business card ($25)/half page ($100)/full page ($200) ads in the program, or 140 character line of text ($5) in the program.  Every kid gets a limited bio of "John is a senior National Honor Thespian."  If they want more than that, they are required to bring in $25 per show in donations, ad sales or shoutouts.  We just started that this year and have brought in a significant amount with each show.

Other things we've done that went well are a paint n sip night (the sip was soda and juice, no alcohol) and a pancake breakfast.  Next year we're going to try an "egg us on" fundraiser, where people pay for us to come and hide plastic eggs at their house for their kids to find at easter.  We would provide eggs and stuffing for them.  I also know people who have done the limited raffle - some big prize, and then sell a limited number of raffle tickets at like $10 each.  For instance, an iPad with only 400 raffle tickets available.  You make $3500-$4000, depending on if you can get the iPad donated, and whomever wins may have only spent $10.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-01-2019 11:55
    Congrats on your first year! 

In my state the students have to pay an activity fee for participation in any club. I keep it minimal ($5/year) but the money does slowly add up. The students also have to pay the costs to induct each year. I established that when I first took over the department and was working on increasing the balance in our account. I only charge the cost of the induction and start talking about it at the beginning of the year so the students can start saving if necessary (and I have a sponsor who will cover the costs for students who truly cannot afford it without assistance).

I would look at possible sponsors for your program. You might also try to partner with a local college or theatre to help defray costs for things like costumes and props. 

One of the easiest and most profitable things we do is improv. We have multiple shows throughout the year and charge $3 a head. We average $250+ per show and, since we don't have to pay any rental to use the auditorium and tech the show ourselves, it's all profit. We now have set team and ref shirts but when we started the kids wore t-shirts and jeans to perform. We separated the teams with different colors. It's been a great money maker, is lots of fun for everyone involved and has helped increase interest and support for the department across the board.
     - see if you can get a couple of minutes in a pep assembly to showcase this for the school. It'll really help get your audience interested until it becomes a staple of your school

We also have a donation jar available at every show. Again, the money slowly adds up.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-03-2019 13:45
    I must be the only Theatre Director in the world who doesn't do traditional fundraisers!  I detest them.  I believe I have only done one traditional "sell 'em somethin'" fundraiser, and we made so little money it was ridiculous.  I just can't inspire the kids to sell stuff because I hate doing it myself.  

For 19 years I've been at a school that gives us a little money, but before that I taught at 4 schools where we got nothing.  And only one of those schools had students whose parents could pay for them to pay registration fees for festivals, hotels costs, etc.  So we had to operate in the black.  I've never charged anyone to participate in a play or charged a course fee.

We make money through performing.

1.  Public domain plays.  There are so many of them.  Shakespeare, Moliere, some of the old melodramas.  One great thing about public domain plays is that you can cut them without permission.  If you are working with a very old work, you can rewrite some of the clunkier sentences to make them flow for a modern audience.  Make friends with Gutenberg.org, and send them a donation when you use something from their site.

2.  Adaptations of public domain works not originally written as plays.  We won Critics Choice and became our state's Chapter Select with an adaptation I did of Edgar Lee Masters' "Spoon River Anthology."  No charge.  We used costumes we built for previous shows.  Zero production expenses.  For the past four years, we have added four performances of "A Charles Dickens Christmas Carol" to our season.  I downloaded the original little novel and did my own adaptation.  We are lucky to have storage room for the set pieces, so the production has been virtually no cost after the first year.    

3.  Student-written plays.  We do two types: collaboratively written plays that we perform for our elementary schools, and short plays that students write and our Thespians direct for an annual showcase we call Quixotica.  Our biggest audiences of the year are always for Quixotica.  The playwriting units in the theatre classes are where most of the plays in Quixotica get their first and second drafts, and the fact that plays from each class get productions the next spring makes those units more than assignments.

4.  Original plays.  If you have playwrights in your area, let them know you are interested in reading anything they write that would be acceptable for your students to perform.  Give them some clues: words that are no-go, issues that interest your students.  With a playwright who is able and willing to workshop a play, it isn't a matter of "We can't perform this," but "If you can see yourself changing this scene/word a bit...?"  Either they can see making the changes, or they can't, and you move on.  People who want their plays published need to have performances, so this is really a win/win situation.  

5.  If you still want to sell something, ask your students' parents to sell concessions at your shows.  Our Thespian parents send in bottled water, sodas, chips, cookies, etc., and then a couple of parents a performance sell them during intermission for $1 each.  We made almost $1000 this year on concessions sold during intermission.  (We also have donation buckets: big popcorn buckets that are decorated and sit on the concessions and box office tables in the lobby.)

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-03-2019 13:48
    P.S.  We perform modern plays with scripts that we pay for and royalties we pay gladly.  And we do a musical on alternate years.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-02-2019 05:49
    The fundraiser I do is a murder mystery dinner theatre. I have partnered with a local restaurant and I charge enough to cover the cost of the meal and I make about $15 per person. When we started doing this I charged $30 per person but recently had to move up to $35 because of increasing food costs. We also do a "luck do the draw" raffle for each performance. (Next year we will do 4 shows ... we started out with 2)

The scrips I have used for the last 10 years are not expensive to perform nor are the rights expensive. So there isn't a lot of overhead costs, thus more profit for the organization. 

I hand pick the cast rather than do auditions and it's kind of a privilege for kids to be chosen. They have to be quick on their toes because the scripts generally are part improv and have a lot of audience interaction. 

I've gotten many of my scripts here. Some are a bit racy for high school but most work and are super funny. She's really good about allowing changes if asked also. 

Toni Thomas
    English & Theatre Teacher & Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

Sent from my iPhone 

• 7.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-02-2019 08:23
    I so remember my first few years, and I survived without this discussion group! So kudos for finding this so soon!!

1st:  We are also public, rural, and low socioeconomic.  I charge a $20 participation fee each year or "club dues." This buys them a t-shirt and gives me $10 to work toward a costume for them.  If they need character or jazz shoes, they purchase those through the club, at the lowest cost I can get them. They also have to pay for their first year induction into ITS.  It can add up and be a little overwhelming for some, especially my first year participants, but I wouldn't be afloat without it. I have found I cannot cap this to a definite deadline. It takes many of them by the end of the season to get it to me. Part a responsibility problem, but part a financial issue.

2nd: My best fundraiser is community discount cards.  I create the cards myself using PowerPoint, turn into a JPEG file, and submit to a business card company to print. My favorite is Morningprint's plastic business cards. They are thinner than the standard PVC cards, and much cheaper! I call local businesses and ask for discounts at no cost to them, just to honor the discount.  I have vendor letter templates and a contract template if you are interested. We usually pull about $2000 and that's huge for us compared to other fundraisers. 

Krispy Kreme donuts are also a huge hit.  They offer dozens at very low prices to schools, and we can sell some donuts to our community! We make about $4 off each box, selling them still below the cost of buying them in store ($6 a dozen). We have also coupled sales week with our elementary school's reading event "Donuts with Dads" and the school purchases several dozen.  The closest franchise store is about 2 hours away from us, and they will still serve our school.  Not all stores do the fundraiser, but you can do a quick search on their website and find out what stores do (If there are any stores in your region). 

And if you have access to sell to elementary students, sell SMENCILS! SMENS! and SMANIMALS! Teachers hate them but the kids love them! They are smelling school items, available through several fundraising companies.  I usually go through EZFund.com.  We usually make $1000 our first year on these. Just beg for forgiveness ahead of time from the teachers and sell them before a long holiday, so the kids lose them after a week. (The teachers can't stand the kids smelling each others' stuff all week! haha).

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 8.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-02-2019 08:32
    Fundraisers are always hard, with the rules of what you can and can't do but also finding the time to get it together etc.

The main fundraisers we do are through Yankee Candle (the costs of the candles are the same as in a store and you could do it all online without handling any money or product!).  Then we also do whats called Boosters through our local theme park, we work a shift and what each worker would get as an employee we get tax exempt as a group.  Depending on how many people you have work (which can be volunteers, not just your students) you can make a couple thousand in one night.  Are you able to sell ads for your program? I've also done carnation sales at Valentine's day $2 per stem or 3 for $5 (getting them in bulk from Sam's Club or Costco).

Those are the few that give us big payouts, we are also building the set for one of the shows at the theme park this year - but we had to do like a bid and everything and it is a lot of work but the payout will be nice.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    SULLIVAN MO

• 9.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-02-2019 09:13
    Things we do: 
    1. sell concessions during all shows possible (including chorus concerts) at the Fine Arts Center here
    2. sell program ads and shoutouts (similar to those already mentioned on here)
    3. sell break-a-leg-a-grams during pre-show, intermission, and even after the show
    4. do a 50/50 raffle during pre-show and intermission
    5. this year we worked with The Illusionists David and Jenny, who were phenomenal! If you follow the guide they send you relating to marketing, you will get half of the proceeds at the door and these shows sell well! 
    6. students pay induction fees (similar to others already mentioned on here)
    7. I charge each student $15 per student to be in the Drama Club. This gets them a t-shirt and covers expenses for many of our other fundraisers. 
    8. Doughnut sales.
    9. Pancake breakfasts...if you have a Chilis near you, contact them. They do most of the actual work, your students have to advertise, sell tickets, and serve the pancakes, that's it. 
    10. Car washes. 

I'm told that I've raised more money for the Drama Department than any other club or organization (Sports excluded). 

Also, we don't do it, but the band does... their biggest fundraiser each year is a rock-a-thon. It's all night, but give students a great opportunity to bond. 

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 10.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-02-2019 12:28
    I've done a clothing drive. (there are placing that will pay by the pound) so everyone dropped it off with us, and we organized the pick up/drop off so we got the money don't recall the specifics, but it worked well. 
    What about trying to do a variety show and ask donations.. no out of pocket expense on your end, except your time... Add some raffle items, 50/50 raffle.. it can become an annual thing and over time raise you more and more money with little out put. 

Good luck!

Aimee Evans
    Technical Director
    Lincolnshire IL

• 11.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-02-2019 17:33
    When I was teaching (I am now retired) I needed to raise everything for my department.  I did a fall play, a spring musical, and Large Group Speech (a statewide activity that is basically Acting Contest).  We also did trips to Chicago, London, and performed three times at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.  So needless to say, we needed to raise a bunch of money all the time.  I tried to stay away from selling "things" as much as possible.  Some of the fundraisers we did included:
    * Selling programs at the home football games (the Activities Dept. supplied them)
    * Working concession stands at the local AAA baseball stadium (mostly late spring and summer)
    * We have a 5 cent deposit on soft drink/beer/liquor bottles, so once a month we held a "Can and Bottle Drive", where people would drop off their returnables at the school, my kids and parents would separate and bag them up, and I would take the bags to the recycling center.  We made $300-$400 each month
    * Annual Garage Sale at the school on a Friday and Saturday (during summer). Took donations from the town and what was not sold was either picked up the the donators or taken to Goodwill
    * We held our own Fringe Festival, where the kids would do different performances (acting, music, improv, etc.) and parents would donate baked items to sell
    * We did our version of The Fear Factor the years we went to Scotland, and the penalty for losing earned the loser the right to eat haggis (we had a parent who know someone who could make it).  I had principals participate, city councilpeople, State representatives, members of the State Champion girls basketball team, football players, teachers, etc.  The public got to vote (by money donations) who they wanted to see play the game.  One principal kept putting money on other people so she would not have to do it.  It was great fun, and we got both TV and newspaper coverage.
    * Battle of the Bands.  We had 5-6 high school bands that played, with each getting 15-20 minutes.  Teachers were the MCs and tickets were sold, along with t-shirts.  Lots of work, but lots of fun.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Cary Shapiro

RISK - FAIL - RISK AGAIN

Think before you speak; read before you think

• 12.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-03-2019 14:27
    One thing that made a LOT of money when I taught in a rural county is Wrestling. Or as they called it 'rasslin".  There was a company that would come in and set up the ring and supply the wrestlers. Real low grade WWF/WWE. But they were lined up at the door two hours before it started! Check around for a "school" that trains wrestlers and see what you can set up. Once the Sports Department started they made sure they had the monopoly for the school.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 13.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-03-2019 17:11
    Some fundraisers we do:

sell candy grams at intermission. Dues for our club is a bag of individually wrapped candy. We get snack size plastic bags and fill with candy. People can write a note to include in the bag and they are sent back to the cast at intermission. We sell them for $1.

Intermission raffle. We get items donated from cast, crew and community. We sell raffle tickets during intermission for every show and pull the winner at the end of the last show.

Mother Daughter tea (I'm at an all girls school). This is probably the one that requires the most work, but it raises a significant amount of money. We sell a table of 8 for $185 or individual tickets for $25.  We also have raffle baskets at this event and a 50/50. 

Faculty one-act. This is student directed and they cast the teachers. We do one performance. It's a big hit. I pick a show that has lots of characters that appear in only one scene which makes it so teachers can rehearse easily. Rights are usually only $75-125 depending on script. We use costumes we have in stock or teachers provide their own. 

Playbill ads is a big money maker. All cast members are required to sell at least $25 worth of ads. Prices range from $25-$100 depending on size. 

We've sold items based on the show we are doing. We sold plush sandy dogs recently for our musical Annie. 

At one one time I had a florist hook-up and was able to get flowers donated. We sold bouquets of flowers for $5 and that was pure profit.

KRISTI Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 14.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-04-2019 19:42
    We raised most of our money doing shows, selling ads, refreshments and cards to be sent backstage.  At least one show a year was kid friendly with an added matinee.  One of our biggest shows was a Shakespeare variety show (no royalties, minimal set, costumes from stock) where anyone could play any role (i.e. an all female Tempest or Midsummer rustics).  Eventually, we added a mini Renaissance faire before the show and during intermission.  All of the cast and crew participated. . .and many of the House Crew later became cast members because their participation.  While the monies raised during the faire went to a designated charity, attendance more than doubled and many of the audience came multiple nights!

If your facility will buy into it, you might try an evening of "Celebrity" sonnets.  And if you are in an area with Comedy Sportz, it can boost revenues as well an enhance your actors' talents!  Good luck!

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 15.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-04-2019 23:06
    Two Words--Drama Day!  We do three Drama Days a year--they are essentially a one day theatre camp for students in the area.  We do them on Saturdays-- one in December for students in Grades 1-3, one in February for Students in Grades 4-6, and one for middle school students in May.  My theatre students are the faculty.  They meet, do lesson plans for the day and then teach the kids.  The day is broken up between acting workshop, tech workshop and then rehearsal for a little presentation for their parent at the end of the day.  We charge $25 per child which parents are happy to pay to give their kids the experience and themselves a little time away.  My students learn so much by having to teach the material I have taught them.  We've been doing it for so long that some of my students who now teach were children who participated when they were younger.  We feed them lunch--usually donated or reduced price przza from a local establishment or sometimes provided by my students' parents.  We make up a certificate of participation to give them to take home.  It's so much more educationally rewarding than selling candy or other items and its all pure profit.  
    We also have an improv troupe which performs four times a year.  $5.00 tickets, we pull in an average of $1000.00 per show.  Once again no outlay of captial, pure profit, but most importantly--letting students use their theatrical gifts to support the program.

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton WI

• 16.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-04-2019 23:11
    Oh--forgot--we  also do   Singing Telegrams during the week of Valentines Day.   We have arranged to allow theatre students to deliver to the classrooms on a selected day during that week in February.  Kids into musical theatre love performing and students purchase them to give to their friends and teachers!  Teachers buy them too :)

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton WI

• 17.  RE: Fundraising HELP!

Posted 05-06-2019 09:21

We usually make a little money off our shows, but our big fundraiser is our summer camp. It's a lot of work for me upfront, but the week of camp itself is fun and we make between two and three thousand dollars. I pay for counselors to travel with the campers and they go to stations for art, acting, singing, and dancing, and we do a showcase performance at the end of the week. They bring their own lunches. Their tuition pays salaries and for art supplies. 

I haven't done this yet, but have thought about doing a one-day event on a Saturday before the winter break, where we would offer a day camp (as someone else described) but also a gift wrapping service. So people could drop their kids off, go shopping and get gifts wrapped before they go home. 

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL