Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drama about Mental Illness

Posted 12-15-2017 09:54
    I had hoped to produce next year in a one act format, the play "The Skriker" by Caryl Churchill, but will not be permitted to cut it to one act length.  It is a creepy, nightmarish vision of a person struggling with and descending into mental illness that deconstructs language to show the descent into "madness".  Now I'm looking for a play that is a one act, or could be adapted to one act format that addresses similar themes in a similar or really theatrical and dramatic fashion. Any suggestions?  Thank you!

------------------------------
    Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Maine Chapter Director
    Standish, ME

• 2.  RE: Drama about Mental Illness

Posted 12-15-2017 10:10
    Ernest and the Pale Moon fits the bill. Highly theatrical. Expandable cast. Story of a man spiraling into madness.

For a different, smaller, quieter direction, Proof is a great show about mental illness.

Another option might be to look at adaptations of Poe; many of his works are about this.

---------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams

Adel GA
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Drama about Mental Illness

Posted 12-16-2017 15:00
    The Insanity of Mary Girard is highly theatrical and really challenging. My group did it about 8 years ago now and some are still messaging me about the experience!

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 4.  RE: Drama about Mental Illness

Posted 12-16-2017 15:10
    Take a look at The Mental State. Two schools in Texas are cutting it down to 40 minutes and bringing it to UIL competition this year. For more information feel free to email me.

Josh Adell
    North Hollywood CA