Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins

Posted 08-31-2015 12:35

Has anyone ventured into Mary Poppins at the Elementary/Middle level yet?  We just got rights for Spring 2016, however, I just saw the show last night.  It seems unusually difficult, and I'm wondering if it is attainable for this age group.  Thanks for your input.

------------------------------
    Mark Middlebrooks
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 09-01-2015 07:36

I personally wouldn't do it with that age for the following reasons:

1. At full length it is three hours...which I think is too long for most kids that age group. 

2. Most roles are supposed to be adults.  While I am good with suspending that for several characters with my kids, I don't think I would do it with a primarily adult cast. 

3.  To me, the real meat of the show actually revolves around George and Winifred and their personal growth. I think that besides the dance numbers, the real heart is with those more grown up themes of women's rights and putting family first. I think that might be a little much for middle schoolers. But that's just me. They could do it... But would they connect?

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 09-02-2015 08:48

Ditto!

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 09-01-2015 13:12

We are doing it this year with our middle school group as well. I think it depends on the group of students that you have and how you are looking to present the show. 

We have had a lot of success with big shows like this and are feeling great about embarking on it...though I definitely was feeling some of what you are feeling when we were choosing the show.

In my opinion, kids will always surprise you and exceed your expectations, if you let them. Like the show says "Anything can happen if you let it." :)

If you feel in your heart it is the right show, guide them and trust them to follow you. 

Would be happy to chat more about production needs as you are going along. Maybe we could offer each other support. Our show is in March of 2016. When is yours?

Hope to get to talk with you soon!

Seth Travaglino
    Theatre Director
    Corbett Preparatory School of IDS
    Land O'Lakes FL

• 5.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 09-01-2015 21:19

MTI & Disney are creating an MP Junior; iTheatrics worked on it this summer.

No idea when (if?) it will be released (certainly not for this school year) but creation is underway.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY