Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best filmed stage production?

Posted 11-08-2021 14:43
    Hi --
    I am building a program and very few of my students have ever seen a production beyond the other schools in our region at one act play contest. I know that they NEED to see more theatre, but getting them to attend is a huge challenge. I was going to start with showing a filmed stage production. Does anyone have a good recommendation?  Something we could watch and analyze, critique, etc...? Thanks in advance

Cindy

Dr. Cindy Harrison, Ed.D.
    Director of Choir and Theatre Arts
    Mildred Independent School District
    5475 South Hwy. 287
    Corsicana, TX 75109

Office 903.872.6505, ext. 2033

• 2.  RE: Best filmed stage production?

Posted 11-09-2021 05:43
    There are lots of filmed plays available. If your school has a subscription to Digital Theatre there are lots there including a terrific version of The Crucible. The National Theatre website also has DVDs of London productions. Netflix and Amazon Prime have some, including a What the Constitution Means to Me, Shrek the musical, Carousel, and Newsies. Musicals are easier to find than plays, sadly. Some old clips from The Tonys work, too. You can't find them on YouTube. And there are some great documentaries like The Making of Miss Saigon and Every Little Step. Finally, try your local library. Sometime I find some there. Good luck!

• 3.  RE: Best filmed stage production?

Posted 11-09-2021 14:01
    Thank you so much.
    I am aware that musicals are more available, so your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
    I was also thinking of "Noises Off." While it isn't truly a filmed stage production, I thought it might prove useful.

Dr. Cindy Harrison, Ed.D.
    Director of Choir and Theatre Arts
    Mildred Independent School District
    5475 South Hwy. 287
    Corsicana, TX 75109

Office 903.872.6505, ext. 2033

• 4.  RE: Best filmed stage production?

Posted 11-09-2021 11:02
    National Theatre At Home, Shakespeare's Globe, and Broadway HD (which includes shows from the Royal Shakespeare Company) all have many great productions to choose from. Many of these streaming services will let you rent one play at a time, and/or offer educator discounts for streaming subscriptions.
    Specific recorded stage productions that would be great to analyze in class (depending on age of students, school standards etc.) that I would highly recommend include:
    Trevor Nunn's Oklahoma! (possibly Broadway HD, or DVD)
    Shrek the Musical (Netflix)
    Hamilton (Disney+)
    Come from Away (Apple+)
    What the Constitution Means to Me (Amazon Prime)
    Coriolanus (National Theatre)
    Romeo and Juliet (National Theatre)
    A Streetcar Named Desire (National Theatre) 
    She Loves Me (Broadway HD)
    The Comedy of Errors (RSC on Broadway HD)
    Hope these are helpful.

------------------------------
    Ellicia Elliott
    Artistic Director
    Richland WA

• 5.  RE: Best filmed stage production?

Posted 11-09-2021 11:12
    One of the best filmed plays...  https://www.lovettartsonline.com/murder-with-grace
    Hilarious... Well acted and the film and sound are top notch.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 6.  RE: Best filmed stage production?

Posted 11-09-2021 21:15
    Hi,
    If you're looking for Shakespeare:
    The BBC did a series of most of the plays back in the 1980s. Olivier and many other notable stars are featured.
    Also, PBS and the BBC have a wonderful series called "The Hollow Crown." It's a filmed series (not on a stage) which features all of the plays dealing with the Wars of the Roses in which Benedict Cumberbatch plays Richard. It's on Amazon Prime.

Other filmed versions of plays/musicals that I've used with various Dramatic Literature and Performance lessons:
    "Death of a Salesman" with Dustin Hoffman available from Amazon.
    "Sweeney Todd" - 1982 cast (including Angela Landsbury)
    "Sunday in the Park with George" - original cast
    "Cats" - original West End production (filmed on stage without an audience)
    "The West Wing - Special 'Reunion' Event" - HBO
    "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" - National Theatre

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA